April PB400 PLC (MerlinGerin)

Hi,

I need to replace a lot of old MerlinGerin April PB400 and PB80 PLCs with A-B CLX 1756-L8x.

I'm looking for any documentation about PB400 PLC controllers and/or all docs related to I/O cards, comm card, etc. All I have is the diagnostic manual. 📚

Since I can't find anything (neither Google!), I'll take anything you have !

Hope you guys can help me,

Regards,

User Manuals

I am having trouble with a PB400 as well. Is there any chance I can get a copy of that diagnostic manual? Unfortunately this tech is of a vintage where even when I contact Schneider support, they didn't know what this controller even was.

Thanks for the reply guys. Unfortunately, Schneider didn't find anything!

I found the programming manual, hardware manual and diagnostic manual in an old binder. I scanned it and will post it when I came back to my office. The thing is.... those documents are all in French!

I am having trouble with a PB400 as well. Is there any chance I can get a copy of that diagnostic manual? Unfortunately this tech is of a vintage where even when I contact Schneider support, they didn't know what this controller even was.

Feel free to detail your problem. I'm getting more and more familiar with those PLCs. Maybe I'll be able to help you .:p

Feel free to detail your problem. I'm getting more and more familiar with those PLCs. Maybe I'll be able to help you .:p

Through the tried and true trial and error method we found our problem. We were trying to run the program on the controller, and it kept refusing to run. After redownloading the current(ish) revision of the program still no progress. We finally went back a few revisions, and one of our old revisions actually worked. Turns out the newer revision we were trying to load didn't have any of the parameter data in it. To run code on these old processors we needed both the code file and the parameter file. We can keep limping along now until we get the time to update to something more modern.

Thanks for the offer though!🍻

I found the programming manual, hardware manual and diagnostic manual in an old binder. I scanned it and will post it when I came back to my office. The thing is.... those documents are all in French!

Hello, awaiting those scanned docs of yours, i am also tasked to check and fix a PB80 controller thats not working, all i have is the Micropb software, the program file and the programming cable/emulator, also if i may ask is there a way to view the logic and IO list through the program file, thanks...

Here are the documents

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1a_YNROFd5tZlgMCYIgo7gwHFKqSOqNVJ?usp=sharing

I wasn't able to upload them as they are too big ! 🙃

Concerning the I/O mapping, we do have the source code. Inside, there's a routine with all the Input mapping and another one with tue output mapping. Should looks like the "Input mapping.png" printscreen

Which means there's an...
...Input card in Rack 0, slot 8, bit 0 to bit F
...Input card in Rack 0, slot 9, bit 0 to bit F
...Input card in Rack 0, slot E, bit 0 to bit F
...Input card in Rack 1, slot 1, bit 0 to bit F

You can see the code if you enter a routine. LGA is the type of language used. ASM means Assembly, REL means "Relay" (ladder). There's also LIT for litteral and GFC for Grafcet.

Good luck discovering those old languages !!!

Let me know if you encounter any other problem 🍺

*** EDIT ***
We are using a DOS emulator (DOSBox 0.74) with GRAL as software

Input mapping.png Code.png

Last edited:
We are using a DOS emulator (DOSBox 0.74) with GRAL as software

Were using and old laptop with serial port running winxp, the Micropb software shown in the png file only gives me level 1 access which is to restore the program to the PLC, Level 2 is disabled, if you could share to me the software your using to open your program file that would be very much apreciated.

As of yesterday i have focused on checking the cpu and powersupply hardware as im experiencing strange behavior such as the plc hanging up when trying to upload a program.

Thanks...

MicroPB.PNG

Unfortunately, I won't be able to share GRAL (on Dosbox) because I don't own the software nor the licence. I ask our client if we can share that software, and the corporate refuse it.

Has for your problem, we have the same problem with our "lock" software. I know that they're some files that you need to overwrite with the one that contains the licence.

I'll try to find a way to send you GRAL without the licence.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to share GRAL (on Dosbox) because I don't own the software nor the licence. I ask our client if we can share that software.

Hello, Its ok and i totaly understand :) as of now the plc is working, Ive looked away from the software side and checked the hardware, replaced the capacitors on the power supply and replaced the 3.7volt backup battery on the cpu and redownload the program. 🍻

Thanks again for the manuals (y) been translating and reading those :)

Hi Guys, just picked up the thread - remember these baby's from waaaay back, in fact cut my teeth on their big brothers (PB3 & 6) - so showing my age here

the PB400 was way ahead of the league at the time, but unfortunately didn't keep up when AB and S5 moved in. The PB80 is an odd ball - unless you have the source code, you can't reverse engineer the compiled (almost machine code) version.

if you need any pointers or help on some of the program, such as indirect or indexed or extended functions, drop me a line - see how the grey cells have held up!

by the way, be interested in having a look at the manuals if you can share the link ;)

cheers, M

🍻

Micropb

Good evening guys I see this thread is old but I thought I would give it a try as its the ONLY reference I can find to April PB400's.
I have just been told I need change the program in one of this next week but I have never see the MICROPB software and I was wondering if copies are available anywhere or if someone has a manual for it.
Thanks