RIO 1794-ASB Very high Retries counter

slick_2323

I'm experience issues on a linear pick and place machine. The drive is a AXIMON DV10 and the Controller is an AXIDYNE 9972443. The problem I'm having is the shuttle is not returning to an accurate home position. The control uses discrete inputs from a RIO 3/4 rack. The DV10 drive, motor, encoder, and gear box have been swapped with the mirrored outfeed side and the problem still persists at the infeed side.

While looking at Channel Status I noticed a very high Retries counter for Rack 4(Infeed side) and Rack 5 (outfeed side). What causes a Retry counter to increment?

Notes:
PLC5/30
1794-ASB
230.4 kBaud
Rack 7 is not in use.

Screenshot 2020-10-19 152546.png Screenshot 2020-10-21 071528.png Screenshot 2020-10-21 071637.png

Past experience with RIO suggests either a cable fault, or termination fault.
Sometimes even a strand of wire overlapping to the other terminal is enough to cause an issue.

Check your cable core terminations carefully, is what I would do first.
Maybe check the cable run, if you can, to see if there are any places with potential damage.

Retries are definitely usually caused by a damaged cable. RIO and DH+ will frequently run on just a few strands of corroded copper and missing termination resistors, but retries are the most common evidence of damaged wiring.

But I would expect a damaged cable to cause retries on the other adapters as well; it's a daisy-chained network after all.

So I would also check the power supplies to those adapters, and their grounding, and any sources of noise, or substitute a known-good 1794-ASB.

Start by cleaning and re-terminating the cable, and checking for any bends or crimps or crushed sections.

The RIO terminations looked decent, do they make a dual plug for the 1794-ASB to better daisy chain the modules?

The thing I found that helped the most was the RIO was ran next to a 480V motor on a freq drive. When I moved the RIO to the other side of the cable tray the retires where almost reduced by 90%.

Thanks for the tips!

Try to run your RIO cable inside a metal pipe in the places where it crosses power cables, it will help a lot.