Log on Factory Talk problem

aspay

I've installed Rockwell Automation sotware (FactoryTalk and RS Logix 5000), but whet I start them, always appear notification for log on to factory talk that need username and password (see attachment).
is there any procedure that I missed? or any other setting that need to be accomplished?
thank you in advance.

error.JPG

Welcome to the forum!

This prompt is asking you to log on to your FactoryTalk directory, which all of your Rockwell products that have security enabled use.
By default when you install version 20 of RSLogix 5000, security verification is enabled, but the "network" security server is the local host PC.
Question: Are you using FactoryTalk AssetCentre software? If so, then most likely you are set up to use a remote server PC as your security authority. In which case, you should have already had a user ID and password set up to login to the server.
If you are not using a remote server for security, then this login prompt is just asking for your user ID and pw for the local windows login credentials.
To get rid of this prompt, go to Start - All Programs - Rockwell Software - FactoryTalk Administration Console. Log in to "Local" as your windows user (needs to have administration privileges), then go to Policies - System Policies - Security Policy and enable "Single Sign-On". What this does is once you log on to windows, then you are globally logged on to the FT directory, and you won't have to log into your products separately.

Now, if this doesn't work, if it doesn't take your windows user creds, then either you don't have administration right to your pc, or your directory has gotten hosed, and is pointing to a remote server that doesn't exist. I have seen this happen on a guys PC who tried to open an .ACD file that had remote security enabled. It basically told his RSLogix that he needed to login to our remote directory, which he could not do.
To fix this, we had to reconfigure his FactoryTalk NETWORK directory (using the wizard) to use the local host as the network server to get his Logix working again (sounds worse than it is).
If you need to go this route, post back, or PM me and I can walk you through the procedure. Unfortunately, I've learned WAY more about FactoryTalk security in the last few months than I ever cared to! o_O

Starting with v20 of RSLogix 5000 you are now required to configure the FactoryTalk Network Directory. By default the Local Directory is automatically configured, but not the Network Directory.

Go to ==> Programs ==> Rockwell Software ==> FactoryTalk Tools ==> FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard

Make sure you select the checkbox to configure the Network Directory as it is not selected by default. You can leave the Local Directory checkbox selected.

You will be prompted for the user name and password for the Network Directory. Provided you are an administrator for your computer you should be able to type your user name and password. If you are not an Administrator then you will probably need your IT/IS department to complete the task.

You will be provided for the credentials again for the Local Directory. Once the Network Directory has been configured you should be able to open RSLogix 5000 without seeing that prompt.

This is assuming you are not using any of the security server products to which bmacattack33 referred.

OG

bmacattack33 : thank you in advance for your advice, I really appreciate it. :)

Operaghost : thanks you so much for the solution above, it works well now and I can use them. :)

Hi
Thank you for infomations.. bu i still have a problem
I have 02 users in the factory
01 - the administrator, works very good
02 - no Administrator , so is necessary do a Log on to Factory talk every time that this user make log off windows
with Version 19 this is not necessary.
Can you help me

Starting with v20 of RSLogix 5000 you are now required to configure the FactoryTalk Network Directory. By default the Local Directory is automatically configured, but not the Network Directory.

Go to ==> Programs ==> Rockwell Software ==> FactoryTalk Tools ==> FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard

Make sure you select the checkbox to configure the Network Directory as it is not selected by default. You can leave the Local Directory checkbox selected.

You will be prompted for the user name and password for the Network Directory. Provided you are an administrator for your computer you should be able to type your user name and password. If you are not an Administrator then you will probably need your IT/IS department to complete the task.

You will be provided for the credentials again for the Local Directory. Once the Network Directory has been configured you should be able to open RSLogix 5000 without seeing that prompt.

This is assuming you are not using any of the security server products to which bmacattack33 referred.

OG

Just ran into this again and forgot how to resolve it. This did the trick. Thanks.

Wanted to leave a tip on this issue, since this page is one of the top Google results for it:

After installing RSLogix 5000 v20, if you also install the following two items from Rockwell's Compatibility & Downloads page, the FactoryTalk Directory login prompts appear to be disabled (note that you'll need a Rockwell account to download):

• FactoryTalk Services 3.0 (3.00.00-FTServices-A-DVD) - higher versions may work, haven't tested.
  • January 2019 Patch roll-up (Patches-02.Jan.2019) - presumably later patch roll-ups will work as well.

Permanet Solution!!!

Hi,

From what I found out these methods are temporary. You have to use IT/Administrator creditials to create a user on FactoryTalk Administration Console.
In my case we created a Windows-Linked User for the account that needs access. This is a permanent solution. You can also Make FactoryTalk Users that will have to log in themselves. There is a video link below. Hope This Helps! (y)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJHPII_pkg

Last edited:
Not sure this is useful: But if you just renamed your PC, it will cause this issue. If you rename your computer back to the exact name it just was it will resolve the issue. (If you can't remember your PC name, go look the autosave files from RSLogix, the name should be imbedded in one of those)

Good luck! :)

Sorry to revive an old topic, but this is what hosed me, and the below was the exact fix

thanks!

Not sure this is useful: But if you just renamed your PC, it will cause this issue. If you rename your computer back to the exact name it just was it will resolve the issue. (If you can't remember your PC name, go look the autosave files from RSLogix, the name should be imbedded in one of those)

Good luck! :)

Sorry for the confusion. My issue was that the FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard throws errors whenever I try to configure the local directory after I changed the computer name.

I tried going into the registry and replacing all the instances with the original computer name with the new computer name, but that did not resolve my issue. I ended up reinstalling studio 5000, after which I was able to add the directory.