How to convert a PVP .APA or .MER file into a View SE project?

PreLC

Hello PLCs.NET!

1) I wanted to know if there is a way to import PVP files into ViewSE.
I have the APA and the MER files. When I did an "Import" from Machine Edition, I only had an option to pick out .med files.

2)How do I perform an import? If .med files are needed, how can I get the med file from an APA/MER?

3) After I import, can I just use the SE to develop these screens?

Thanks!
-PreLC

The best you can do is import the screens and tags, which is possible but requires a decent amount of editing .XML files.

Basically you'll want to export both the screens from the Machine Edition project and a screen from the Site Edition project with the screen format you want to use. Once you have, open a ME screen and the SE screen .XML files.

You will need to change the gfx object on line 2 of the screen so that the following matches the Site Edition version you are using:

xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Gfx-ME11.xsd" -> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Gfx-SE11.xsd"

Next you will need to copy the displaySettings object from the Site Edition screen and replace the Machine Edition with it. Make sure you copy all the way up to the />, this sometimes wraps to the next line.

After that, you will need to delete any machine edition specific objects. This includes Go To Display, Return to Display and Close Display buttons, but you may run into others.

Finally, you will need to add the vbaProject object that is at the very end of the Site Edition screen.

Once you've done all of that you can attempt to import the screen in to the Site Edition project normally. If there are any errors then a message will display showing the first line that it had an issue with, so it might be some trial and error to find all the problems.

Last edited:
Yes, you can import the ME project. But, SE cannot import the APA or the MER. You have to have the development version (.MED) of the project. Once you have that, it can be imported into an SE Network type application. You cannot import into a Local type application.

In ME
if you don't have it, then in ME, restore the project (.APA) or restore the runtime (.MER). You have to do that in ME. This will create the development version of the application (.MED). Use the Application Manager to convert the APA or MER. APA would be preferred.

In SE
Create a new SE Network type application. It can be Distributed or Station. They both work.

Add a New Server and select HMI Server. From there select ME and browse to the correct project folder and select the .MED file. You will have a lot to clean up, but it's easier than starting over.

OG

Last edited:
I should clarify: there is no tool that allows you to import a Machine Edition project into Site Edition. The above method allows you to convert the screens manually.

The only tool that allows any kind of importing is the Tag Import and Export Wizard, which requires you to first export the .MED file of the Machine Edition project into a .CSV file, and then import it into the Site Edition project.

EDIT: Hah! That'll show me you don't assume just because you can't convert one way, you can't convert the other way. I honestly didn't even notice the import there.

Last edited:
Yes, you can import the ME project. But, SE cannot import the APA or the MER. You have to have the development version (.MED) of the project. Once you have that, it can be imported into an SE Network type application. You cannot import into a Local type application.

In ME
if you don't have it, then in ME, restore the project (.APA) or restore the runtime (.MER). You have to do that in ME. This will create the development version of the application (.MED). Use the Application Manager to convert the APA or MER. APA would be preferred.

In SE
Create a new SE Network type application. It can be Distributed or Station. They both work.

Add a New Server and select HMI Server. From there select ME and browse to the correct project folder and select the .MED file. You will have a lot to clean up, but it's easier than starting over.

OG

Thank you OG,
Where exactly can I get the MED file from? I restored the APA file, and it shows up as an "existing file" now in View Studio.

When you select to do the Import it will take you to the HMI Projects folder. All projects get stored in one particular location. The name of the project will be a sub-folder. Open that folder and you will find the .MED file.

OG