Siemens communication with Rockwell

maybe a redlion datastation as a protocol converter to get the servo unit to a more appropriate comms bus /ethernet, these are pretty cheap

The 1761-L31 was one of the very smallest CompactLogix controllers in the first generation of that product. While it can run DH485 protocol on the serial port (with a signal converter, the 1761-NET-AIC), if you aren't familiar with CompactLogix I don't recommend getting it involved.

The Red Lion DataStationPlus has a reliable and mature DH485 driver, and a specific cable. If this were my system, I would get a DSPSX with a Profibus DP slave expansion module (XCPBDP) and use that to implement the interface.

I prefer the DSPSX to the slightly-cheaper DSPLE because the embedded HMI web interface is such a useful diagnostic tool.

Whoops, hang on.
The S7-300 is a 314C-2DP ? If so, there is no ethernet for the TP1500 to connect to.
If you need to use the serial RS485 port on the TP1500 for the 314C-2DP, then it cannot simultanously be used for DF1 to the 1769-L31.
In that case you may have to use a gateway somewhere in the system.
Or add an ethernet CP343-1 LEAN to the 314C-2DP rack.
Or, change something more drastically...

All of the serial ports are free on the 1769-L31

So you are thinking add the CP343-1 LEAN to the rack, connect the 314C-2DP PLC through that to the TP1200 Comfort HMI and connect the HMI through the serial port to the 1769-L31?

The machine has 3 Siemens PLC-s, each of them are connected to each other by ProfiBus and all of them have to send and receive data from the HMI. So if i make a connection from the main PLC through the CP343-1 LEAN to the HMI, will i be able to send and receive tags from the other PLC-s as well?

Thanks!

The 1761-L31 was one of the very smallest CompactLogix controllers in the first generation of that product. While it can run DH485 protocol on the serial port (with a signal converter, the 1761-NET-AIC), if you aren't familiar with CompactLogix I don't recommend getting it involved.

The Red Lion DataStationPlus has a reliable and mature DH485 driver, and a specific cable. If this were my system, I would get a DSPSX with a Profibus DP slave expansion module (XCPBDP) and use that to implement the interface.

I prefer the DSPSX to the slightly-cheaper DSPLE because the embedded HMI web interface is such a useful diagnostic tool.

So what you are saying is either add the 1761-NET-AIC to the 1769-L31 rack and connect from there to the servo system
or get the Red Lion DSPSX and XCPBDP, connect the Siemens PLC to the XCPBDP and from there connect the DSPSX directly to the Servo system?

Why are you trying to shoehorn this old cr@p together, my first question would be what is wrong with the current scada doing the job and why does it need to be ripped out?

I recommend against involving the 1769-L31 CompactLogix.

It will require you to learn how to write MSG (Message) control logic in that controller, and how to wire and configure it to use DH485 protocol on one of its serial ports.

And the connection from the CompactLogix to your HMI remains a question mark.

I also recommend against the RTA device. They are a very good company, and John Rinaldi is brilliant, but Data Highway 485 is a small blind spot in their product portfolio. DF1 is a related (and standard) Allen-Bradley protocol but is not the same thing.

Because of their long history connecting to legacy A-B controllers, and the continuing availability of the classic DataStation Plus hardware, I recommend that product for this connection. The learning curve is nontrivial, but there are many experts on this Forum, and your application is not especially complicated if it really does involve just a handful of Allen-Bradley data registers.

I recommend against involving the 1769-L31 CompactLogix.

It will require you to learn how to write MSG (Message) control logic in that controller, and how to wire and configure it to use DH485 protocol on one of its serial ports.

And the connection from the CompactLogix to your HMI remains a question mark.

I also recommend against the RTA device. They are a very good company, and John Rinaldi is brilliant, but Data Highway 485 is a small blind spot in their product portfolio. DF1 is a related (and standard) Allen-Bradley protocol but is not the same thing.

Because of their long history connecting to legacy A-B controllers, and the continuing availability of the classic DataStation Plus hardware, I recommend that product for this connection. The learning curve is nontrivial, but there are many experts on this Forum, and your application is not especially complicated if it really does involve just a handful of Allen-Bradley data registers.

So you are saying to get the Red Lion DSPSX and XCPBDP, connect the Siemens PLC through profibus to the XCPBDP and from there connect the DSPSX directly to the Servo system?

Yes, that's exactly how I would do it.

The XCPBDP expansion card is a Profibus DP Slave, so that's pretty straightforward.

The DSPSX then connects to the 1394-GMC controller via the DH-485 port. Red Lion has a specific cable, that I linked to previously.

The basic configuration is pretty simple. The following screenshot doesn't show the port configuration settings, but it illustrates how straightforward it is to "map" data from one port/protocol to another in the DSPSX.

DSPSX_profiDP.PNG

Yes, that's exactly how I would do it.

The XCPBDP expansion card is a Profibus DP Slave, so that's pretty straightforward.

The DSPSX then connects to the 1394-GMC controller via the DH-485 port. Red Lion has a specific cable, that I linked to previously.

The basic configuration is pretty simple. The following screenshot doesn't show the port configuration settings, but it illustrates how straightforward it is to "map" data from one port/protocol to another in the DSPSX.

Alright, great

I talked with the Red Lion technical help and they said to either go with the DSPSX with the expansion card or with the DA30D with the expansion card. Both of them will get me there, just DA30D is newer and is using Crimson 3.1 instead of the Crimson 3.0

We went with the DA30D solution.

We´ll see how it plays out...