Trying to get online with MELSEC mitsubishi FX 2N-80MR PLC module

ClassyBanana

We received a cell that has a MELSEC Mitsubishi FX 2N-80MR PLC installed. We need to access the PLC program for troubleshooting and additional programming and backing up. What software do I need to open the PLC program and how do we connect to this old PLC device? I'm trying some things now but it's risky as I don't want to accidently lose the programming and be unable to run the line for some reason.

We use Allen Bradley PLCs in the plant and connecting so far does not seem similar.

I'm using a USB to ethernet device hooked into the Mitsubishi PLC.

I basically need someone to explain how to connect like I'm a 5 year old for this PLC style.

Please help!

Ronnie is right, however, it depends on what IDE was used for the program.
GXDeveloper will allow you to upload the code regardless of the IDE used but if it was programmed in GXIEC or GXWorks2 then the code will not always make sense. GXIEC was known to create code that was not compatible with GXDeveloper, for example it sometimes created un-connected ladder elements that worked but could not be translated into ladder in GXDeveloper. The way that GXIEC and GXWorks uses the IEC language means there could probably be many conditional or unconditional jumps round the main cyclic code via pointers past the cyclic code FEND instruction, this makes the code a little more difficult to understand. The only possibility is that the symbolic information has been downloaded to the PLC to allow re-construction but this is rare.
The chances are that it was programmed in GXDeveloper so no real problems.
One other thing, it may have a password which means you will need the password to upload the code. The SC09 cable will work with a USB to 232 converter even on win10 (providing the converter has the latest chipset).
your best bet is to see if you can get the documented file from the supplier.

Ronnie is right, however, it depends on what IDE was used for the program.
GXDeveloper will allow you to upload the code regardless of the IDE used but if it was programmed in GXIEC or GXWorks2 then the code will not always make sense. GXIEC was known to create code that was not compatible with GXDeveloper, for example it sometimes created un-connected ladder elements that worked but could not be translated into ladder in GXDeveloper. The way that GXIEC and GXWorks uses the IEC language means there could probably be many conditional or unconditional jumps round the main cyclic code via pointers past the cyclic code FEND instruction, this makes the code a little more difficult to understand. The only possibility is that the symbolic information has been downloaded to the PLC to allow re-construction but this is rare.
The chances are that it was programmed in GXDeveloper so no real problems.
One other thing, it may have a password which means you will need the password to upload the code. The SC09 cable will work with a USB to 232 converter even on win10 (providing the converter has the latest chipset).
your best bet is to see if you can get the documented file from the supplier.

Thanks for your reply. I am now online with the PLC but there is no tags or labels for the programming bits. Might be out of luck with getting these tags but any chance you or anyone else may have some ideas to get descriptions?

There is no way of retrieving labels/comments unless they are stored in the PLC (this is unlikely). If they have stored them try uploading the Global comment by selecting the tick box in the transfer screen if it exists it will upload if not then it is not there.
Your only option is if you have the drawings then create the symbols based on the text for the inputs/outputs, then it may be possible to follow the code and put some comments and labels (Symbols) on rungs that you understand.

Last edited: