Extremely slow loading of RSLogix 5000

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is not my day. My 4-5 yo laptop is barely hanging on and Rockwell site wont' even allow me to log in today, yup, it maybe my computer. Anyway, this has been happening for a while but is getting extreme lately. Sometime it would take about 10 minutes to load and today it's been over 30 minutes and it it still wont' load. The task manager is showing about 50% usage by RS5000 alone. This also happens even when one RS5k session is already open and I tried to open another session up.

I have already checked prior posts regarding similar issue but none looks like the problem. There's no CHECKDRIVE environmental variable, my flexopt file is empty.

My activation is borrowed from a server and I usually remove the checkmark for that server after I do the borrowing.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

No I don't think it is your computer. I haven't been able to even get on the KB much of the day.

any chance that you've recently loaded FactoryTalk View Studio? ... the background services (etc.) for that one has always slowed my systems down to a crawl ...

I have never experienced loading as slow as you have mentioned, but I was getting 2 minutes plus to open RSLogix 500 version 9 and RsLogix 5000 version 19 and higher. If you are connected to a network that doesn't have internet access the software will try to connect to a certificate website and take a while to timeout. I reduced that time to 8 seconds by going into Control Panel-->Internet Options-->Advanced Tab and unchecking "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" and "Check for server certificate revocation".

My logix5000 sometimes takes 4-5mins to open, especially if opening from a file as opposed to opening it first.

I have been having difficulty in accessing their website for the past 24h too.

I have never experienced loading as slow as you have mentioned, but I was getting 2 minutes plus to open RSLogix 500 version 9 and RsLogix 5000 version 19 and higher. If you are connected to a network that doesn't have internet access the software will try to connect to a certificate website and take a while to timeout. I reduced that time to 8 seconds by going into Control Panel-->Internet Options-->Advanced Tab and unchecking "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" and "Check for server certificate revocation".

Thanks DMfrey, but I didn't notice much change. OTOH, I replaced my HDD with a SSD, and WOW! All of the s/w boots very fast including Step 7 and Siemens Starter.

I was helping someone else troubleshooting this today and found my posting from 2015.

If my memory serves me right, repairing MS Framework 4.0 worked for me. The RA KB article # is 63556.

Same issue with ver 28

I've had ridiculous long load times with Studio 5000 ver 28, sometimes 45 minutes. I have a brand new Dell Precision laptop with a huge amount of memory so seems odd. I tried different things and found that changing the number of processors dedicated to my VM helped but in the opposite way I assumed. When I reduced it from 2 processors with 4cores/processor down to 1 processors with 2 cores/processor it dramatically decreased load time. However, this would only work during the first load. If I closed and reopened, it would take forever to load again so it may be only related but not the cause. I also found that shutting down my VM AND my host machine and restarting would make it boot fast again but only the first time. So maybe memory issue? I then changed the file to ver 30 and it opens instantaneously. Must be my issue is something with ver 28.

FYI, it's a Win 7 VM runnning on Win 10 host machine.

The fix mentioned in the previous post only applies to Windows 7. It made no difference in Windows 10. People in that thread were also mistakenly linking this setting and Internet Explorer. IE was just the easiest window to get to the setting. You could also access it through the Control Panel.

There is a 45 second timeout on contacting the server to see if a certificate is valid or should be revoked. So this fix at best will get you a 45 second improvement. Nowhere near the timing delay that the OP is seeing. It mainly affects RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000, RSNetWorx, and RSLinx. FT View is not impacted by this setting.

My guess is that it is somehow related to the borrowed activation. I'd be curious to see if the license was not available how long it would take to open and give the demo mode prompt. Or opening the software to create a new project instead of opening a specific project.

OG

Last edited:
I had this problem but it was not related to RSLogix5000 or studio.
Is indexing of your hard drive still checked?
It started effecting me after I used or abused my laptop with all sorts of files on projects which made it crawl to a stop. It also caused my Studio display to freeze too.

Scan you harddrive for all that

If you have a bunch of ethernet drivers on RSLinx running they will slow your loading of RSLogix. So just put these to turn on manually.

RSLinxNG factory talk linx driver I think its used in Rockwell HMI software.
There was another service that runs but its similar in text to this service.

I am a big believer that your work laptop is just that work. If you use it for play then all sorts of funny things happens. It keeps your IT folks off your back if you keep play away from your work laptop. Carry a separate play laptop for your personal stuff.