Advantech Adam Modbus RS485 Comm to Red Lion G3

ve6nap

I need help setting up Modbus RS485 communications between a Red lion G307K200 and an Advantech Adam 4168 to both read and or force the output relays when a tag changes between true and false in the G307K200

I can communicate to the Adam 4168 using the utility and control the outputs with the utility So I know the Adam is working.

I have the Modbus RTU Master driver loaded into the G307 for the communications port
Settings are

Baud rate 9600
Bits 8
Parity none
Stop 1

The Adam is also set to the same baud rate and parity etc. except is set as slave station 1

Last edited:
That is the process I used on the first Comm port to talk to the VFD and that works

Just having issues with talking to the Adam 4168 on the Auxiliary RS485 Comm Port

Last edited:
That is the process I used on the first Comm port to talk to the VFD and that works

Just having issues with talking to the Adam 4168 on the Auxiliary RS485 Comm Port

A bit more info would help with this.

Have you tried using something like RealTerm to view the raw 485 string coming out of the Red Lion? If you connect a USB to 485 converter to the Red Lion it will show you what it is actually asking for.

What are the red and green lights on the RS485 port doing when you are trying to communicate?

I've only ever setup an Adam RS485 Modbus to Modbus TCP/IP convertor with a G3 before, but from memory A channel on the Adam goes to B Channel on the G3, and B ch on the Adam goes to A on the G3.

Have you changed the ADAM from ASCII to Modbus mode? I think the ASCII mode is default.

Which registers are you trying to access on the Adam and how have you mapped them?

Last edited:
Yes, ASCII mode is default.

Power on with the Inital switch set, do a new search, and change the protocol in the utility
Power down, flip to Normal, power back on and do another search.

In Modbus/RTU mode there will be a red M symbol overlaying the module in the left hand communications tree. In the informational right-hand window pane you will see a new tab for Modbus under the IO (where you toggle the outputs). It shows the coil addresses there as well.

Module was not changing to Modbus when set so did not see the M when starting utility and module reverted to setup every time - turns out switch broken so was always in initialize mode,,,,,,,,,,,,Replacement of module solved problem.. looks new in box not always working ,,,I should never assume