RSLogix 5 software for Legacy PLC5 $$$$

I think (again think) it has to do with the OS of the PC, I think W10 64 bit will not...

the machine i loaded it to was an older WIN 7 32 bit O/S with RSlogix 5 V8.0 (RSlogix 5 V9.0 was not successful). i have a colleague and will try on his WIN 10 machine soon as i can.

Last edited:
Install = yes. RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500 can have any version installed using their serial number. Any version of RSL5 will work with the EVRSI license (as far as I know - the latest version I can see is v8). RSL500 up to v9.00 will work with EVRSI. RSL500 v9.05 & up requires FactoryTalk.

Download a version higher than v6 without a current TechConnect contract, or if the original purchase was within 1 year before v6 was released, with PLC5 legacy = NO

But my reading of the OP seems he has RSL5 and wants another license probably for another computer.

When you move a license using EVMoveW or -Cf in WIn10 it has to be run as an administrator or it can't write to the drive, after it deletes the original, and faults - losing the license(s).

As for opening RSL5 or 500 once the licenses are on the drive they open no problem.

good to know, thanks for the reply.

With one license, can I run the RSlogx5 in multiple laptops?

Not at the same time.

You would have to move it from one computer to another with EVMoveW, or EVMoveCF that will use a USB flash drive, every time you wanted to open it on another computer.

If you buy AB's Dongle ($200 US a few years ago) and have Rockwell convert the license to FTAM then whichever computer the dongle is in will work.

what licence do you have?
is it the older EVmove that used 3.5" floppy drives, if so and you still have access to a USB floppy drive and a floppy disc PM me.

Probably couple of decades ago, we had a license for RSLogix5 according to retired employees we reached out to. Our company has multiple branches all over the world, I thought if we reached out to some of them, they might have a license that we could borrow. That's why I asked. We do not have any laptop that has a working floppy drive, but we are more than happy to spend money to get the floppy drive to work, if that's what it takes. Heck of a lot better than spending $10K to buy a new license. All we want is to back up a RSS file form a PLC5, which is a part of very expensive machine.

Probably couple of decades ago, we had a license for RSLogix5 according to retired employees we reached out to. Our company has multiple branches all over the world, I thought if we reached out to some of them, they might have a license that we could borrow. That's why I asked. We do not have any laptop that has a working floppy drive, but we are more than happy to spend money to get the floppy drive to work, if that's what it takes. Heck of a lot better than spending $10K to buy a new license. All we want is to back up a RSS file form a PLC5, which is a part of very expensive machine.

If its only a backup you need, then its best to engage a Systems integrator (who has the software) to do this and it will only be a small labour charge for his time and travel, put the file on a USB near the CPU and a copy on the plant server.

All we want is to back up a RSS file form a PLC5,

just to nit-pick - the file from a PLC-5 will be an RSP file ... I'd also highly recommend doing a File Save As operation - and save the program (and the documentation information) so that if you ever need to translate to a Control-Logix system, you'll have less trouble down the road ...

also - if you have a good working relationship with your local Rockwell distributor, you should talk this whole thing over with them ... they MIGHT be able to use some of the serial numbers from your company's other locations to supply you with a license for your system ...

good luck with it ... stay safe ... stay well ...

As Ron said, I once dealt with a legacy PLC5 at a local distribution warehouse. Long story short a scanner failed and shut down the whole picking area, the original thought was the multiplexer but no way to be sure. The only way to truly find out was to read the raw data from the plc. We didn’t build the system and the original integrator was long gone.

The warehouse was slated to be closed within the next 10 months. I called my local AB rep and explained the situation. They gave me a temporary license to get them back going.

If you don’t ask, the answer is always no.