Matching D/IO's between ADAM & LinMot

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
After great help on the forum getting a Red Lion G3 HMI to control & communicate with Advantech's ADAM-4055 D/IO modules, the next step was to simply connect the D/IO's between the LinMot linear motor drive and the ADAM Modules:

It turns out I may have screwed up using a Sinking output on the ADAM while the LinMot drive requires a load limited voltage "source" for it's inputs. DUH!

If there are any D/IO wizards out there, please check out the ADAM and LinMot specs for D/IO's .. There is a problem with getting the ADAM OUTPUTS to communicate with the LinMot inputs.

Who woulda thought you couldn't modify a remote D/IO module to accommodate options in DO requirements. ADAM made it possible to use sink or source with it's inputs... but the outputs seem frozen as a "sink" system...

The pictures show two connectors on the LinMot drive that use D/IO's for control and monitoring. X4 and x6 each one has it's own ADAM-4055 to communicate with. At the moment, the ADAM inputs seem to be working... it's the ADAM outputs vs. the LinMot inputs that need looking at.

One 24 VDC power supply for all elements in the system. This suggests that same voltage is connected negative to Dgnd and positive to DOcom. on the ADAM's outputs to power that isolated circuit. but, all the switching is being done at the negative end. "Sink"? No way to send a positive voltage to the LinMot without using a Solid state relay? Sigh, so many ways to screw something up... :)

Thanks. Regards, Michael

D_IO Wiring_001.bmp

Correct, the output is sinking transistor, NPN, that cannot source a 24vdc signal out. There is the ADAM-4056SO (12 channels) for 24vdc output.

SSR will get there too, one per output.
Or if inverting the what signal the Input sees is Ok; wire a 1.2K ohm (or higher) between the 24VDC supply and the Input lines (one resistor per input), and have the output 'sink' the same side of the resistor as the output is tied to.

exabmorgan Thanks! That's a great idea .. I think I'll do both! This is a very low budget project.. I can invert the input signal! This is more fun than ever... Methinks this thread is RESOLVED.

If I can get a used 4056SO I'll do that too... Best Regards, Michael

PLC... Yes I've made some mistakes in assuming the ADAM module had a sourcing DO module.. Turns out... it does, the 4056SO.. I've tried to explain that I am not a Automation Engineer.. I just play one in my hobby shop. My Projects have been rather successful, thanks to a lot of help from many sources.. microoceans.com Haven't made any money.. but it's been rewarding in many ways.

Your message is somewhat cryptic ... at this point.. yes .. my time is worth nothing, and I have to share it with 7 sheep, 4 llamas, 6 goats 45 ducks, 10 chickens, a turkey, 2 cats, a barking dog and many plants and trees to water plus a wife to enable who has MANY hobbies! I think I can get a used ADAM 4056SO for under $100 ... if so I'll do it ... but.. a few resistors and some re-programing of the LinMot drive for inverted DI's is OK to.. All in a Covid-19 days work....

No good solution yet... but

The circuit above isn't a bad idea .. and there is a way to invert the LinMot inputs; however, I'm trying a different approach. Will switch one of the 4055 D/IO modules to ADAM 4056SO... which is a sourcing DO .. but, has 12 outputs instead of 8 ... then there's the problem getting the HMI to communicate with a 12 bit DO register... remember Advantech uses a single hex word to write to that register .. two bits for the 4055, and three bits for the 4056SO. In other words, send "FF" in the CMD expression would set all 8 bits to "true". FFF to set all 12 bits to true in the 4056SO. The Ted Lion driver has a selection for 4056SO so there's a chance it might work.

Meanwhile there is still the problem that the LinMot DO's are all read as "True" by the ADAM 4055. Yup,there's a small amount of voltage in the LinMot Do's (2.8 VDC) , which gets read as "True" by the ADAM 4055's DI's... sigh. A 10k resistor in each line of DI's fixes the problem...Is this a flaw with LinMot or the ADAM module? Or is this normal, as there are no reasonable standards as to how D/IO should be done between units?

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

Here's some info on the ADAM 4055 Inputs. Check out this circuit. They say it supports wet or dry inputs at DI-0 using a "default" jumper setting.. Does that mean Source or sink? probably.

It doesn't show a DO connected, but you can immagine DICOM is -24vdc or power supply return. DI-0 is a DO from LinMot drive, which will go positive 24VDC when true.

4055_002.bmp

Another possibility of the wiring..Is shown here. something intended for "wet" wiring Sourcing?

This time they show the powered DI .. but this time the internal +15VDC is not in the circuit. so... which wiring to i have?

4055_003.bmp

Above is where to look for the jumpers... Perhaps I'll ask the forum if anyone out there ever used ADAM D/IO modules...sigh!

Last edited:
So I spy a rev code on the top of the PCB of the ADAM you opened. I have no definitive proof but I'd have to think that is a revision from 15+ years ago.
If you opened the current ADAM-4055-BE I'm thinking you'd find those jumpers.

The magical internet found a copy of the manual circa 2004, here are the 4055 pages.

p77.jpg p78.jpg p79.jpg