Invalid apa file FactoryTalk

whussain6

Hi Guys,

I have an apa file received from my colleague and his machine is dead on which he developed the FactoryTalk view application.

I cannot restore the apa file using any version of FactoryTalk View studio (application manager). I have tried V9, 10, 11 and the latest v12 of FTview installed on separate Virtual machines.

I have also tried 7.zip (suggested in another PLCTalk thread) to extract files but it also prompts that the file is not a valid archive file.

The file size also looks fine. The application was developed with version 10 of FT but I think that's not the issue as the FTview is backward compatible and allows restoring the older version on newer version of FT(I have already done this with other application)

Any workaround is appreciated?

Check the patch revision. This is a common reason for the file is not a valid archive file error. You need to have a equal or newer patch revision than the machine that the .APA was created on One possibility is to go to the Rockwell PCDC page and search patch roll up. Download the latest patch and run it. Then try to extract the archive. As long as the file is not corrupt it should extract.

Also I stopped using the archive file to transfer development files to another PC a number of years ago. I just use a runtime .MER. Using the Application manager, use restore runtime application radio button and point it at your MER file and your development application will be restored. This method is almost hassle free as long as the version of FT View is equal or greater that the version of the MER file. No patch revision issues.🍻

@robobob:

Where might I find the .MER file, or how do I create one? I have an older machine getting replaced with 8.00.00 on it, trying to pull the recovery file to a new machine with 8.10.00 on it, to make sure I can successfully pull it and make it work, and then the new PC that's going in will have 8.10.00 on it as well (on a VM).

I am getting the same "not a valid file" error as above.

TIA!

Open the project on your version 8.00.00 machine, go to Application > Create Runtime Application.

Then on the version 8.10.00 machine, open the Application Manager, Restore Runtime Application.

You could also create a new APA from the v8 machine using the Application Manager, instead of using the runtime (Backup Application, then Restore Application).

You could also create a new APA from the v8 machine using the Application Manager, instead of using the runtime (Backup Application, then Restore Application).

I tried that. I keep getting an "invalid recovery filer" error...

Going to try the runtime and see if I get results. Thanks for the quick reply to a zombie thread.

So you create a fresh APA from your v8.00.00 machine and you get that error when you try to restore it on your v8.10.00 machine?

and, that did not help. I still get the error. Also of note, it says in the bulletin that the files should be replaced with no errors, but there were no files to replace, so its possible the FTView install was corrupt.
i might uninstall and update to 9.0? or is that a bad idea?

and, that did not help. I still get the error. Also of note, it says in the bulletin that the files should be replaced with no errors, but there were no files to replace, so its possible the FTView install was corrupt.
i might uninstall and update to 9.0? or is that a bad idea?

We went from v7 to v10, so I never really used the between versions, each one seems to have its issues. Historically, going back versions has been a problem, so keep that in mind when you upgrade. I use VM's for this reason.

Are you able to share the APA? I can try it in v10 if you want to private message me.

Edit: Also, is this one application giving you fits, or any application?

i only have one FTV 8.00.00 in the building. it runs the safety doors in a laser welding lab. the PC it is on is old and dying, and needs replaced, per IT. so I'm trying to do a "dry run" of migrating the archive to my dedicated rockwell PC with my Win10 VM, just to make sure it will work when I do it for real in a few weeks when the PC is commissioned.

Is your version 8.00.00 system a 32bit OS?
If it is, I believe you will NOT be able to restore it with a 64bit OS because of incompatible tag databases.

Have you tried creating the .mer runtime file as mentioned by dmroeder?

edit: my mistake above:
afaik this applies only to version 6 and earlier. In version 6.1 and later both 32 and 64-bit applications used the newer tag database.

Last edited: