Q: Rockwell softwares running on Mac

chantecler

Hello,

A client of mine, has a laptop whose screen doesn't work. He told me to reinstall all of his rockwell softwares on a Mac running a Windows emulator, essencially Studio 5000 and FTV ME. Has anybody done that? any issue?

Help appreciated

Thank you

Hi,

You'll need to run a Windows VM to get this done. I've purchased a 99$ license of Parallels which allows you to easily spin-off a Windows 10 VM on your Mac. Additionally, I had to buy a 10$ EtherNet dongle as my MacBook didn't have an EtherNet port.

Not a single issue with this VM / installation.

Hope that helps,
Vlad

Hi,

You'll need to run a Windows VM to get this done. I've purchased a 99$ license of Parallels which allows you to easily spin-off a Windows 10 VM on your Mac. Additionally, I had to buy a 10$ EtherNet dongle as my MacBook didn't have an EtherNet port.

Not a single issue with this VM / installation.

Hope that helps,
Vlad

Thank you for your answer. What Rockwell software did you install on your Virtual Machine?

I used to use "Boot Camp" which allowed me to boot into Windows or MacOS on powerup, but found that Parallels (and VMWare Fusion when I tested it) worked way more conveniently and handled every PLC/HMI software that would work in Windows 10 pretty seamlessly.

Thank you,

My client has a licence of Parallels, we are doing some tests asap. The equipment we are going to use doesn't have an Ethernet port so we need a dongle too.

Thanks again

Bye

Be aware, you also need a license for Windows 10. Whether it is virtual or physical, it still needs a license.

OG

This isn't true. I've been running Windows 10 in Parallels as a "trial version" for the last two years. It sends occasional notifications and has a watermark in the corner, but nothing beyond that.

This isn't true. I've been running Windows 10 in Parallels as a "trial version" for the last two years. It sends occasional notifications and has a watermark in the corner, but nothing beyond that.
Well, to run windows 10 legally you need a license.

I and my company's engineering colleagues have been running MacBook Pro's with VMWare Fusion for years. I swear by it. I have several different VM's and never any issue installing Rockwell stuff (well, no apple-related issues, anyway)

Well, to run windows 10 legally you need a license.

I and my company's engineering colleagues have been running MacBook Pro's with VMWare Fusion for years. I swear by it. I have several different VM's and never any issue installing Rockwell stuff (well, no apple-related issues, anyway)

That's a bold statement. You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft (their official website) and install it on a VM. During the installation, there is no prompt purchase; they "advise" you to do so if you want to get regular updates. In what world is downloading their software from their site, installing it, and ignoring their advice to register "illegal"?