I need HELP!

chasmatt741

Here's what I got:
We updated a Powerflex 700 V3.002 series A and 20-COMM-C with a Powerflex 700VC V10.004 series B, reusing old 20-COMM-C. The PLC is a Controllogix V12.03...:/
How do I communicate with it in the PLC if I cant add the correct revision to the IO tree?

Have you tried disabling electronic keying for the 20-COMM-C connection ? What exactly is the connection error code ?

Those PowerFlex 700 drives had significant functional differences between Series, so you're probably going to have to evaluate all of the non-default parameters using DriveTools and not the built-in drive profiles inside Logix 5000.

Is the controller an L1 or an L55 ? Are you planning to upgrade the CPU to a higher version of firmware (max v13 or v16, respectively) ?

The main difference that I would be looking for is the resolution of the Reference value.

If you have a copy of the v12 program with the DataLink definitions, that's the first place to start with your documentation and troubleshooting (after you try disabling keying).

Thank you. I have not yet successfully added the new drive to the program to get an error. I wasn't able to add it to the IO tree so I was trying to figure that out first. I can see it through Linx, ans Drive Tools, but not in the program. The processor is L63 Rev 12.30. They do not want to upgrade because there is a ot of other bags of worms that would open up. I just gotta make it work until they company decides to upgrade their whole system.

It's been long enough since v12 that I don't remember precisely how Add-On Profiles work with that software. I don't have a computer, even a virtual machine, with v12.

In general, if you need to create an I/O tree object with a PowerFlex whose module profile was not included in the RSLogix 5000 release you are running, you install an "Add On Profile".

AOPs are different from Electronic Data Sheets; they are more complex and often include a sort of "plug in" software object to configure a complex device. In the case of drives, it's an embedded version of DriveTools.

Unfortunately this morning the main Knowledgebase is down (not a common event). But the Product Compatibility and Download Center appears to be running.

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/

You can click on the "Add On Profiles" in the Quick Links section, then sign in with your account credentials.

The AOP download section has no sophisticated search system; you literally have to Control-F to search the long column. "PowerFlex 4-Class & 7-Class, SCANport v4.09.00" is what you're looking for.

The release notes for that AOP suggest that it includes support for PowerFlex 700 Vector (the 700VC) with 20-Comm-C but doesn't specify which firmware revisions.

Select the checkbox for that AOP, and click the "Download Now" button at the top of the page, and follow the prompts to download that ZIP file of about 720 MB.

AOPs install with their own installer. Shut down all your Rockwell software, unzip that file, and execute the setup.exe installer.