Mitsubishi GT Designer3 - What sort of button(s) do I need to start/stop a pump?

Mas01

Hi, Complete novice on PLCs and need your help (again).

On GT Designer3 what sort of button/switch do I need to add to Start/Stop a water pump? What's the convention?

Should there be 2 buttons, ie a START and a STOP or just a single button that lights up when STARTED and goes out when STOPPED?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

It is entirely up to you, for example, you can have one button place it on the screen, double click the button, enter the bot number and select ALTERNATE, this effectively sets on first press and resets on second press.
The problem with this is if you have an e-stop in the circuit (PLC wise) then you will have to reset the bit in the PLC code anyway. I suggest you use two buttons like you would on a normal stop/start wired system and make them both MOMENTARY buttons one for start and one for stop then create a latch in the PLC.
See pic Ladder rungs 1 & 2 are for a single button and if required an estop, ladder rung 3 is if you use two buttons for start/stop + estop.
Just remember, safety first, often you monitor the overload relay on the pump back to the plc and de-latch just like the estop button to remove the pump signal.

Start_Stop.png

Also, if you have operators or whomever normally presses the buttons, then ask them what they feel comfortable with.

See pic Ladder rungs 1 & 2 are for a single button and if required an estop, ladder rung 3 is if you use two buttons for start/stop + estop.
Am I reading this right?. On rung 3 , should it be "if NOT X10", ie the e-stop has not been set?

Last edited:
No, E-stop buttons are N/C by default so when not operated they are closed.
The idea of an E-stop is it breaks the contact so in the logic a normally open contact (PLC wise) would reset the pump run bit which is not what you want.
So a N/C will be off if the input is on. Pressing the E-stop will drop the power to the input thus the N/C contact in the PLC will be false or made.
See pic.
On the first rung the e-stop is on (default not pressed) so the result of logical operation is true as can be seen on the output i.e. it turns it on
The second rung shows the N/C contact i.e. the input is true but because the contact is N/C the result of logical operation is false so the output is off
if these outputs were reset operation the N/C contact when the e-stop operated would reset the output, I wonder how many people have made this mistake before changing the N/O to N/C lol.
Edit:
Perhaps I should explain my reasoning behind the E-stop.
Any equipment that could be seen as a possible danger if failed should have a way of quickly rendering the equipment safe, it is common on a plant to have strategically placed emergency stop buttons that render the equipment safe i.e. stop the plant instantly (or if required a safe quick stop). Most machines or plant will have at least one of these the idea is that it will remove the potential that drives some form of mechanical operation.
Depending on the safety category will have a guided safety control unit that removes the potential's on the control equipment. For continued safety is it common not only to remove the potential on the equipment but also feed the status to a controller, so if someone presses an e-stop the potential is removed from the controlling device (example a contactor driving a motor) it also resets the program output so on release or re-energisation of the e-stop the plant does not automatically start back up suddenly i.e. there is operator intervention to re-start the system. There are of course many aspects of what is safe to do and what is not.
Take an example of a machine where the operator opens a guard, this then removes potential to the motor drives, the operator goes inside, the door closes behind him, if the guard system automatically re-energised then that person could be in danger, therefore, it makes sense not to have automatic reset but a deliberate re-start by the operator. Ideally a person entering should lock off any form of restart to stop others from re-starting the plant. Any remote equipment should have local isolation & a notice stating it may re-start without warning Any modifications you intend to do need to be risk assessed to ensure plant safety.

Estop.png

Last edited:
No, E-stop buttons are N/C by default so when not operated they are closed.
The idea of an E-stop is it breaks the contact so in the logic a normally open contact (PLC wise) would reset the pump run bit which is not what you want.
So a N/C will be off if the input is on. Pressing the E-stop will drop the power to the input thus the N/C contact in the PLC will be false or made.
See pic.
On the first rung the e-stop is on (default not pressed) so the result of logical operation is true as can be seen on the output i.e. it turns it on
The second rung shows the N/C contact i.e. the input is true but because the contact is N/C the result of logical operation is false so the output is off
if these outputs were reset operation the N/C contact when the e-stop operated would reset the output, I wonder how many people have made this mistake before changing the N/O to N/C lol.
Edit:
Perhaps I should explain my reasoning behind the E-stop.
Any equipment that could be seen as a possible danger if failed should have a way of quickly rendering the equipment safe, it is common on a plant to have strategically placed emergency stop buttons that render the equipment safe i.e. stop the plant instantly (or if required a safe quick stop). Most machines or plant will have at least one of these the idea is that it will remove the potential that drives some form of mechanical operation.
Depending on the safety category will have a guided safety control unit that removes the potential's on the control equipment. For continued safety is it common not only to remove the potential on the equipment but also feed the status to a controller, so if someone presses an e-stop the potential is removed from the controlling device (example a contactor driving a motor) it also resets the program output so on release or re-energisation of the e-stop the plant does not automatically start back up suddenly i.e. there is operator intervention to re-start the system. There are of course many aspects of what is safe to do and what is not.
Take an example of a machine where the operator opens a guard, this then removes potential to the motor drives, the operator goes inside, the door closes behind him, if the guard system automatically re-energised then that person could be in danger, therefore, it makes sense not to have automatic reset but a deliberate re-start by the operator. Ideally a person entering should lock off any form of restart to stop others from re-starting the plant. Any remote equipment should have local isolation & a notice stating it may re-start without warning Any modifications you intend to do need to be risk assessed to ensure plant safety.
Of course! A N/C e-stop makes perfect sense - it's a circuit-breaker.
Thanks very much for the detailed and clear explanation. Thanks for taking the time to do this.