Can you use a GSV on one PLC to read the "SV" of a second?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Can you point a GSV to read the processor status of another PLC in the same
(or different for that matter) rack? I don't see where I would "point" it so I would imagine not. Just checking.

GSVs are just a prepackaged MSG instruction pointed at the internal CIP objects of a controller.

So in general you need to get Rockwell to unpack/explain the CIP object you want to read, and execute it as a MESSAGE with a CIP Generic type.

There are some in the Knowledgebase, others you would probably have to get from Commercial Engineering.

What exact object do you want ?

I'm using an L61 as a serial port to an L81. It has faulted a couple times during development (a question regarding that 5380/5069-serial issue is here) losing its entire program...which is really nothing, it's just a serial port, and oddly enough , last time it kept passing serial while faulted... handy!.

Mostly just curious if it was even possible. I know I can build a heartbeat to it and know when it faults that way, but ideally the remote seeking GSV could get something of more value. The reason for the fault would be my first target.

I suppose I could use the GSV in in the L61 and MSG that info to the L81 but again, just looking for the ideal health check.