Recipe Management

bright676

Looking for a better way to store recipes outside the PLC.

We use A/B 504s and PV+s with Factory Talk ME in the process.

The recipes are constantly being changed on a daily if not hourly basis and when they screw up and want the program reloaded (I know, I just accept it for what it is)it gives them the formula that was last saved on the laptop and they say that screws up. It is the same if I use a eeprom so It has been taken out.

I have looked into using the recipe screens in FTSV-ME but have nothing positive of using it.

Can you recommend some thing other that will be operator friendly? I would like to save there formulas on the PV+s.

Thanks for your input.

I've used the recipe system in FTME a few times. It's not great. It will store the recipe in the PV instead of the PLC, so it suffers from the same issue of it someone screws something up, you have to download to the PanelView to recover the original recipe. One upside there is that the PLC can stay running if you need it for other functions.

The best way if the operator really needs to change the recipe is to have an edit screen for the current recipe that has operator entry. We did this on a number of systems for example the HMI's held the recipes and there was a recipe edit screen only accessible via a supervisor or engineering password so a recipe was loaded, edited & stored.
The current recipe page allowed the operators to load a recipe and the fields were password protected so that only certain fields could be changed. The current recipe could not be stored back to the archive, so on a re-load of a recipe it would recall the original. Normally, recipes could not be changed except by product development for food safety reasons but certain processes required some fields to be adjusted depending on types of product.
The other systems were SQL based and these could only be changed through the site management system, again certain fields in the current recipe could be changed within limits by trained operators.
In essence if it is safety or quality issue and operators are not allowed to change values either sack, deny access or educate them.