Ensuring payment

1) Don't release Source Code untill fully paid
2) Factor the delivery 30% on Order 70% on Delivery 95% on Successful Test - 100% and You get Source code.

3) Use Source protection or Download password / only download the Binary until the customer has paid fully
4) Put customer in a postion that if they do need support they have to come to you (eg password etc) and only give suppport if paid up fully.

Fool of a company who buys a machine and then can't service support it because FW is locked... They will come back cap in hand .... eventually or have to replace it.

Alternatelyly don't look at "timebombs" but look call it a license with limited time and an unlock for 6 months or unlock for a year or permenant.

All correct answers, you could get sued if you are found to deliberately halt production for any reason.

Payment Terms, Source Protection and secure the processor.

Liens are one way of exerting pressure and usually work. However, in some states (Oregon for one I believe) you have to file a notice of intent to file a lien at the beginning of the project (before ay money is due) or you can't file a lien at the end when you don't get paid.

have you talked to the vendor lately?

Hello Ron! No, the vendor will no longer communicate with me. I explained that I had nothing to do with these guys not paying him....and that I was out a lot more money than he is. After the second time of trying to make amends, I just let it go.

I used to do it all the time and there is nothing unethical about it IF you tell the customer that it's there. If you buy a new CNC machine tool the big names put code in the program that has to be updated every month. You must keep up with payments or the machine doesn't start in the morning.
You have made a good faith effort and delivered a functioning machine, the other party has not complied with their end. This is business don't be the nice guy. Get a lawyer to go after them.
The only company that I had to sue was General Electric. I paid to have the sheriff deliver the summons personally to the plant manager. To say the buyer heard about it was an understatement.

I have also had customers that needed time to get some revenue from whatever I was selling. In this case I knew they were honest so I would willingly wait.
This sounds fair, if you pre-warn them, which I didn't have the foresight to do with that job. I haven't been left unpaid since then, so I can't really complain. This is the part where I ask, does anyone have sample code of what that would look like, so it can't be tampered with? I can't just password protect the project or they won't be able to go online and make any updates they may need to, after I leave.

1) Don't release Source Code untill fully paid
2) Factor the delivery 30% on Order 70% on Delivery 95% on Successful Test - 100% and You get Source code.

3) Use Source protection or Download password / only download the Binary until the customer has paid fully
4) Put customer in a postion that if they do need support they have to come to you (eg password etc) and only give suppport if paid up fully.

Fool of a company who buys a machine and then can't service support it because FW is locked... They will come back cap in hand .... eventually or have to replace it.

Alternatelyly don't look at "timebombs" but look call it a license with limited time and an unlock for 6 months or unlock for a year or permenant.

Some great advice! Thanks 🍻

To clarify,
Tom Jenkins customers were different from mine. You cannot stop a sewer plant for any reason.

I completely understand that. I would never do anything that could harm someone, EVER. Not something that would shut down a machine or system, but would prevent it from being started-up, unless it could pose a threat to someones well being.