FactoryTalk SE Station Data Logging

sbbeebe

I have some relatively simple trending needs on a system with a ControlLogix processor and a PanelView 6 Plus. I'm going to be adding a PC and am trying to decide between ME Station and SE Station.

I'm only trending 10 tags, but would like to get 12 months of data. I can do 1 minute intervals, so that's about 5,256,000 data points. I don't want a server based historian.

I know FTV ME Station is limited to 1,000,000 data points as of 7.00.00, but I can't find any practical data on SE Station when logging to files.

Anybody have any experience that could help out?

thanks,

steve

Well, SE station logs to either an ODBC datasource(MSSQL, MySql, etc..) or files. You can choose how often the files are closed and new files created.
I wouldn't try to store 12months of data in 1 file. So maybe have new files created once a week or month.
A SQL server would be more ideal(you wouldn't have to convert the files to use them in other software for example).

Data Logging

Thanks Dravik.

Do you know what happens when you close out files. Let's say I configured SE to create a new file set every month. Can I still configure a single trend that would be able to scroll through multiple months of data?

sbbeebe,

Have you gotten your data logging to work?

I just completed developing a VBScript program that connects from a PC to a PanelView via Ethernet and FTP; it copies Data Store files (*.csv files) to the hard drive on the PC.

I am using the Task Scheduler on the PC to run my VBScript file every night (1:05am) to copy the Data Store file created the previous day.

If you are interested I can show you what I did.