You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old March 9th, 2018, 11:53 PM   #1
neeraj194
India

Interlock, E stop and saftey relay.

Hi all i'm a beginner in automation filed I need help with safety relays.
How to integrate interlocking switches(dual channel) and E stop(dual channel) to cut off a single motor using safety relay.
Old March 10th, 2018, 04:14 AM   #2
ivo.maenen
Belgium

Short answer:

read the manual of the safety-relay. By the way what safety relay do you use? And the other components: interlock switches, E-stops and also the relays?

Fence-guarding and E-stop should be different safety relays (classic safety-relay) but if you use programmable safety-relay (eg pnoz multi) of an safety-relay with safety-IO-cards than you can combine them in one 'safety-relay-system'.

Long answer:

Safety requires some good training provinding you knowledge. eg. The relay('s) should have an NC iintegrated inside the relay (no auxillary-block allowed) and this according to a certain standard (mirror-contacts).

You (and best also others) should make a risc-assessment. A part of this assessment will give you information if this safety-relay should be wired as a single of a redundant system.

Not following the long road can make you end up in jail if something goes wrong.

But here you can ask question but there will be many things to think about if you want to do it professionaly.
Old March 10th, 2018, 05:21 AM   #3
neeraj194
India

Interlocks, E stop and saftey relay.

thank you ivan.maenen for the reply. Actually this is an upcoming project we havent yet selected the components. I've gone through siemens safety relay manuals and what i found was,I need 2 contactor's if I am using E stop in a dual channel manner (using 2 NC contacts ). I'm also using interlocks to cut off the same motor so do i need another set of safety relay and contactors ?
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:37 AM   #4
ivo.maenen
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj194 View Post
thank you ivan.maenen for the reply. Actually this is an upcoming project we havent yet selected the components. I've gone through siemens safety relay manuals and what i found was,I need 2 contactor's if I am using E stop in a dual channel manner (using 2 NC contacts ). I'm also using interlocks to cut off the same motor so do i need another set of safety relay and contactors ?
Because interlocking 'fence-guarding' and E-stops serve a safety function: yes.

If you are using classic saftey relays you should use a (third) master-safety-relay. Because of this extra cost you can start to think about a modulair-safety relay if you have 3 or 4 safety functions.

I atteched 3 pdf's:

master-SR_1 and _2: normal situation (1 safty relay, mind you the photo is an example and not belonging to the schematic's involved)
master-SR_3: the master safety relay-concept
Attached Files
File Type: pdf master-SR_1.pdf (284.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf master-SR_2.pdf (158.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: pdf master-SR_3.pdf (48.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by ivo.maenen; March 10th, 2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: attechment added
Old March 12th, 2018, 01:37 AM   #5
Jeev
Australia

Have you done a Risk Assessment on the system? The difference between a PLe Category 1 stop, and PLc Category 0 stop can be a number of parts, and a lot of cost.

What is the outcome of your Risk Assessment? What Stop Category does the application require? Which architecture category does it require?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum