RSView and Siemens S7400

inisys

Hi all,

Has anyone engineered a RSView SCADA sitting on top of a Siemens S7400? i have not come across this combination before, only RSView on Allan B. What are your feelings towards RSView?

RSView32 can connect to S7-400 via OPC. I expect this to work flawlessly.

About RSView32 in general, I think that it has its advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
+ Really easy to make some graphics screens and add animations.
+ Some of the editing features are quite good (such as tag substitution).
+ You can expand the functionality with VBA scripts (good if you like VBA).

Disadvantages:
- Graphics are really not reusable (apart from simple cut-and-paste). Any change has to be redone everywhere.
- Relies on VBA for you to make your own functions (bad if you dont like VBA).
- The future of RSView32 is uncertain, as Rockwell is heading towards RSView ME/SE.

edit: Hey, I assumed that you meant RSView32, but you didnt state that - my mistake.

If you are considering RSView ME or SE, then what I have heard about these software packages is that they have a LOT of problems. They are genrally not finished to a degree where they should be recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response jesper, I would think that Rockwell will try to push there latest and greatest (RSViewSE) I have not recommended RSView(X), I would personally go with my strengths WinCC, WW InTouch or ADROIT, not necessary in that order.

Another thing does RSView rely on Kepware for their OPC link to Siemens? I know with AB they use RSLinks.

cheers,

steve

Last edited:
does RSView rely on Kepware for their OPC link to Siemens?
OPC is an open standard, so ANY OPC server will do.
But Rockwell has a bundle offer with RSView to use Keps suite of OPC servers.
Note: If you go with Profibus or MPI to connect to the S7-400 then I think that KEPs OPC server only works with Siemens PC adapter (serial to MPI/Profibus converter). The PC adapter is slow, so its not the best option.
If you use Siemens OPC server (Softnet S7) then you can use the PCI card CP5611 that is much faster.
If you connect via Ethernet then I think that KEPs and Siemens OPC servers are equally fast.
KEP should be really easy to setup, whereas Siemens' OPC server takes a bit of learning to figure out.

I know with AB they use RSLinks.
RSView can use RSLinx direct drivers to AB PLCs as well as RSLinx OPC server.