Ran out of nodes on 1769-L16 Controller

Thanks George your througher response is greatly appreciated.
To clarify Active overload is all we require, so once configured to trip at a certain trip point I/the end user is happy as we see the status of the outputs physically via IO through the downstream contactor. NO logic, no control of the additional IO..

I did think CIP messaging would be okay just to see earth leakage trip and or average current.

The customer is pretty hard and fast set on L16 for their compactlogix controllers, dont ask, but ive seen two side by side..

When I compiled the project, maybe 50 times not once did throw a warning or error with the ethernet Tree configured for 11 nodes. ( Logix 5000 30.11 version).

I appreciate all your guys responses, I think this will help others in the future!

If you agree to this customer's demand to build the machine using the 1769-L16, you will come to regret doing so.

You will get their accolades for saving money on the hardware. You may get the satisfaction of "doing what people said couldn't be done".

But shortly after that first machine is delivered to the remote outback, you will come to regret it.

By then the cabinet will be too small, the Ethernet switch too paltry, the budget long since spent. You will absorb the blame for the excess costs, the lost production, and the consequential results of the machine system's failure.

You are doing a disservice to your customer, your employer, and your own professional reputation.

I've made this mistake, and fixed this mistake for others, enough times to recognize it when I see it in process.

If you agree to this customer's demand to build the machine using the 1769-L16, you will come to regret doing so.

You will get their accolades for saving money on the hardware. You may get the satisfaction of "doing what people said couldn't be done".

But shortly after that first machine is delivered to the remote outback, you will come to regret it.

By then the cabinet will be too small, the Ethernet switch too paltry, the budget long since spent. You will absorb the blame for the excess costs, the lost production, and the consequential results of the machine system's failure.

You are doing a disservice to your customer, your employer, and your own professional reputation.

I've made this mistake, and fixed this mistake for others, enough times to recognize it when I see it in process.

Very well said. Couldn’t agree more.

Screenshot of a v30.11 project with an L16ER-BB1B that I just set up for testing.

I agree with Ken and the others - you are setting yourself up for a huge fall if you persist with this option. Part of your job as an engineer is to understand the requirements and limitations of a system better than the customer, and to be able to convey the requirements to the customer in a way that they understand. The customer is not always right.

I would honestly recommend walking away from the job if the customer won't budge from a flawed design. Let someone else own the headache.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 8.50.31 am.png

Sydneyguy said:
...The customer is pretty hard and fast set on L16 for their compactlogix controllers, dont ask, but ive seen two side by side...

I don't need to ask!

Are they paying you to talk or listen?