Exporting / Importing Sub-Routines to two Different Rockwell processors

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I'm working on a project along with a manufacturer. We are both working on a project , and I'm integrating an existing portion of our plant into what they are working on. Because of Covid 19 , they are going to send me their portion that they have been working on at their facility .

My question is , they used a CompactLogix 5069-L306ER at their facility and
I'm using a 1769-L33ER . I need to Export sub-routines from their program and
Import into my CompactLogix L33ER program.

Do I need to change their processor to a 1769-L33ER . before I Import their sub-routines into my program ?

Thanks so much for your advice.

I believe if they export the routines as .L5K files, you can import them with no issues as long as there were no unsupported instructions that they have access to with a 5069 that you don't with a 1769.

Keep in mind that the sub-routines may require controller or programs tags that may be not existing in the other project.
Perhaps a good approach could be that you/they work on separate programs with their own tags.
Note: routines are exported as L5X files.

I/O addresing on 5069 is different than on 1769 , so when importing try not to use tags that includes direct I/O references.

Example:

Local:1:I.Pt00.Data BOOL Standard 5069 I/O 5069-IA16 Bit 0

Local:3:I.Data.15 BOOL Standard 1769 I/O 1769-IA16 Bit 15

Last edited:
Yeah, you shouldn't have issues with the controller types.

Exporting includes all tags AOIs, and UDTs so there is no issue with not getting the tags you need when you import. But, you could run into an issue if you have both used the same tag name for different purposes. You will get a message indicating a conflict.

** EDIT ** Good point by widelto

OG

Last edited:
I would try the import on a save as offline file. So you can be sure when you import it online if that's what your going to do you can do it at your leisure and not under stress.
Just so when you verify the project you don't see errors or maybe they stomped on your code by accident and all that rot.

Thanks for the advice. I never knew that Rockwell came out with another version of CompactLogix . I'm replacing all the SLC 500's in the plant with 1769-L33ER's .

About importing , what is the difference from Importing a program and Importing a sub routine ? So you can have 2 programs in a processor ?

I went ahead and imported the sub routines , and everything was going well , till I seen some strange things.....

- I had 3 groups of Point I/O with 1734-AENT , 1734-IB8 , 1734-OB8 and 1734-OB2 each. After the download , I lost the last group . I have a yellow question mark and Unknown beside it . I still have all the tags and the I/O still works but have a yellow question mark.It works fine , but it is strange that it does not have the 1734-AENT , IB 8 , OB 8 or OB 2 showing up listed in the tree. Have you seen that before ?

- I also have the JSR's in my main routine , for these imported subroutines , but one or two subroutines do not change state.

I need to regroup tomorrow .

Thanks so much in advance ,

- I had 3 groups of Point I/O with 1734-AENT , 1734-IB8 , 1734-OB8 and 1734-OB2 each. After the download , I lost the last group . I have a yellow question mark and Unknown beside it . I still have all the tags and the I/O still works but have a yellow question mark.It works fine , but it is strange that it does not have the 1734-AENT , IB 8 , OB 8 or OB 2 showing up listed in the tree. Have you seen that before ?

I've seen this before with 1756-DHRIO cards, if you use it for Data Highway (as opposed to Remote I/O), it will come up with the little yellow triangle with the question mark inside of it but still work fine. Obviously that's not exactly what you're dealing with, but it's not unheard of. As usual, someone else will probably chime in with a bit more information than I have.

My ha'penny's worth would be...

Who is holding the master file, and which processor is actually going to be the one that runs the program?

Get it so that you are both working on the same script. else there will be tears when you try and commission it....