Trying to troubleshoot OPC Server for SLC 5/05

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've been making good progress with the WWTP lightning strike issue, CPU and I/O for the Plant PLC is up and running, and data is coming through to the HMI (RSView32). However, a remote Filter PLC is not communicating.

What's odd is that the Plant PLC is connected via "direct driver" but the remote Filter PLC is connected via OPC Server. Why there would be two methods of connection is beyond me, I didn't design this system and it looks like it has been piece-mealed together over the years.

The OPC Server signals are all blank and when I go to RSLinx and look at the data monitor, there are values there but they are unchanging so obviously it's the last recorded value. If I go to the OPC/DDE menu and select Active Topics/Items, every item under the topic of Filter PLC has an error message that says "STATUS ERR $5". Lots of google searches later, I haven't found much about that error.

I've never set up an OPC Server so I'm not really sure how to diagnose what's going on here, any suggestions for how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated. Thank you!

edit: I should mention that I can online to the PLC via Logix500 so at least there's that.

Last edited:
Trying to parse out the set up. It's a RSView32 HMI that connects to various PLC and one of the PLC that goes through the OPC driver is not communicating?

My memory is fuzzy on RSView32. There is a tag database there, that much I remember. What is the OPC driver used? RSLinx or some other?

You can do quick troublshooting of any OPC server by using a test client. A test client is usually installed along with the server but you can always find one online.

https://www.opcti.com/opc-da-test-client.aspx

If the test client is not able to see the tags then I would check in the Windows Service to see if the OPC server is running.

ETA: now I re-read the OP. Sounds like RSLinx is the OPC server. Is the activation for RSLinx ok? The basic version of RSLinx without activation will not do OPC.

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes OPC Server is RSlinx Classic Professional, and this set up has ran successfully for many years so I don't think it's a licensing issue.

I'll check out your links and see what I can figure out.