CCW and non Allen Bradley HMI

whk_tech

Hi guys

With CCW and micro800 PLC's, can you use a non Allen Bradley HMI over Ethernet?.
Apologies if that is a bit basic. I am starting out with the HMI side of automation and am looking for a package i can put together at home. Looking at a micro800 controller and a basic HMI. They looking to be the replacement for micrologix PLC's, the 1400 looks to be the only micro controller left in life cycle.
I have done a fair bit of time with RSLogix500 and still have a few courses to do, enjoying it a lot. I have used RSLogix5000 at work.

Thanks for any info you have for CCW intergration.

Dave

I will use 100% of the time, a Weintek HMI and EasyBuilderPro. I use Micro820 or 850 for anything and everything that is not a Logix level controller.

I will use 100% of the time, a Weintek HMI and EasyBuilderPro. I use Micro820 or 850 for anything and everything that is not a Logix level controller.

thanks, i found some info and vids only, looks like a good option. Think i will go this way.

You sound like you enjoy the micro800 platform. with the plug-ins and expansion modules, they look like a really versatile controller.

What do you like about the micro800?

I guess I like the Micr800's mostly cause they are familiar to me.
I have yet to find something I cant make it do. Its really just what iv been exposed to the most and I could't think of going through the learning curve again with anything new. Also, the amount of resources and knowledge available to help support them as well as the low cost it is cause enough.
Iv used them with encoders, with 525 and Kinetix. We must have at least 2 dozen of them running through the various equipment.

Also, I put a Micro850 in my Excavator running a tree harvester. It takes constant vibration and jarring. It and the Weintek have been in there for over 2 years now in extreme temps on both ends of the scale and is still performing perfectly. Just for a perspective on physical abuse.

EthernetI/P of course!

...which I absolutely understand. I like doing the same when appropriate. *But* there are technicians out there who will curse your name if you don't choose to hard-wire at least your start/stop and probably your speed reference. You limit who can work on fixing things when you have all network control.

I also see an issue when the VFD gets discontinued but needs to be replaced.

Good topic! I just integrated a Micro 820 into an older re-branded Red Lion. I had to use Modbus TCP/IP because the HMI was built before AB had the Micro 800 PLCs. It seems to be working well, and this was a good thing to learn. I ended up buying another Micro 820 to play around with yesterday, but I'm having trouble using the emulator on my VM to experiment with it. I'll probably be posting a question soon.

While I agree that learning how to program the Micro 800 series of PLC's is a good thing to do, you won't be having to jump from the MicroLogix 1100 anytime soon. It's listed as "active mature" which means it is still fully supported but there is a recommend replacement for it (the Micro 800 in some cases the CompactLogix in others). There has been a lot of discussion with regards to what means what when AB lists a product as something other active but the reality is it could last another 5+ years before they list it as discontinued. Having said all of that, the Micro 800's have become a good product as has CCW (make sure you get the latest version) so there are good reasons to switch over to them.

...which I absolutely understand. I like doing the same when appropriate. *But* there are technicians out there who will curse your name if you don't choose to hard-wire at least your start/stop and probably your speed reference. You limit who can work on fixing things when you have all network control.

I also see an issue when the VFD gets discontinued but needs to be replaced.

Good topic! I just integrated a Micro 820 into an older re-branded Red Lion. I had to use Modbus TCP/IP because the HMI was built before AB had the Micro 800 PLCs. It seems to be working well, and this was a good thing to learn. I ended up buying another Micro 820 to play around with yesterday, but I'm having trouble using the emulator on my VM to experiment with it. I'll probably be posting a question soon.

I disagree..
I would curse the name of any technician that is troubleshooting and cant tell if the drive has a RUN signal and a FWD/REV or not. Get out of my machine, all this info is available at very least on the LCD and within the display and status parameters! Obviously the tech you speak of didn't grab a manual. I would curse the name of any tech that DIDN'T use the available Ethernet control that is offered with the Micro and 525 set up. Its so easy. It reduces wiring and the need for said tech to actually posses ability to use a meter, most I see cant read a meter or drawings, plus if they don't understand 2 Ethernet parameters set to EthernetIP instead of terminals then they probably don't know anything about wiring a 4-20mA speed ref. either. So to wire the Start and speed terminal does them no good. At least with Ethernet control, if the connection is happy between the drive and the PLC, then there is no reason to ever doubt the is getting the signal, especially if the PLC / HMI is done to compare the PLC's expected state of the drive and the drives command status vs actual. If comms is an issue than it should be an alarm or fault anyway.

Plus, I can only imagine the 525 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

My 2 cents worth!

Last edited: