Oh No, Uninstalled Linx Enterprise but forgot to export my comm setup!

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
It was one of those days. Happy to get a new laptop. Got all my PLC and HMI code moved over, new Rockwell installs, licences moved, the whole bit!

Well, fast foward a month and I have to work on an ME project. I restore the .apa application, load it up in View ME, but all the Linx Enterprise stuff is wrong!

I am thinking, I missed a step, like exporting the Linx Enterprise database...

I still have the old machine, but some components were un-installed. I can re-install FT View 11, but is my database lost?

Anyone have any suggestions? I can't seem to simply add the HMI to the Linx Ethernet and make it work...

Thanks

:cry:

I guess the comms config is not embedded.

I reinstalled FTView on my old laptop and things aren't any better.

I'll keep trying.

I recommend you set your new setup with a virtual machine and get a great starter VM.

Next, rslinx configuration should never be more than an inconvenience, with that said before you make your start VM official export the RSLinx and if you have to spin up or setup another VM you can use it as an import file.

If your laptop is 100% you could turn it into a VM and then blow the machine away back to stock and install VM software and spin it up.

edit - vms also allow you to have multiple FT versions or RSLogix versions.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not 100% sure myself so bear with me.

I think we are mixing up RSLinx Classis and RSLinx Enterprise. RSLinx Enterprise is what's used with ME Studio to let the project know how to reach the PLCs while testing on the programming computer and how to reach the PLCs after transferring the project runtime to run on another box.

I think OP is talking after the latter, the communication setting (more like paths to the PLC) are stored in RSLinx Enterprise part of the ME project. That should be part of the project and there is no separate backup for it. To view it, you open up the communication under project tree and you should see shortcut to the PLCs. If for some reason the path to the PLC changed than you have to change the path for the shortcut (or pointer) as well.

RSLinx Classic is a different matter, the settings and OPC/DDE topic are on your computer but that has little to do with how ME Project finds the PLCs.

I suspect OP is just having a memory lapse?

I am missing the Linx Enterprise shortcut data for some reason. It should be in the .apa file, but when I load the project in Studio ME, the links are not correct and the offline tag file is from an old project, something possibly went wonky before I made the archive.

Unfortunately (of course) I am nowhere near the HMI, so, if I blow something up, it's a hard lesson. As long as the IP doesn't change, I have a good known backup of the runtime I snagged with the transfer utility.