S7, 1 PN-PN coupler, 5 PLCs.

adfox

Hi. I'm struggling with configuration of PN-PN coupler 6ES7 158-3AD10-0XA0.

The situation is as follows:

I have 1 S7-300 PLC on the X2 part of the coupler, and 4 s7-300 PLCs on the X1.

I need to communicate those 4 to exchange data with that one. I'm using classic step 7 5.6.

According to manual - it's possible using shared device.

https://imgur.com/a/5YaXwDx

My problem is, I cannot find any example concerning classic Step7, only TIA.

Second problem is - The X2 side of the coupler is in another project - done in TIA.
So I have X1 side of the coupler in Step7 project the X2 in different one - is it possible to connect that way or I will encounter problems?

Have You done this before, can You share some light ?

Best regards.

Not an answer to your question, but for having 1 PLC being 'master' for 4 other PLCs, I would use I-Device instead of PN/PN Coupler.
A PN/PN Coupler is for when you have 2 IO Controllers that must connect to each other but still be on independent networks. I have not heard that it could be possible to combine several PLCs on one side by using Shared Device. Is 1 PLC then the actual controller, the others then use that PLC to get the data ? If so, what if that PLC is down, the other PLCs also lose the data ?

If you dont have the need for the 2 network sides to be completely independent, then you could simply use I-Device instead. It is simple to get to work and there is no single PLC that is more critical than the others.
Only thing is that the IP Addresses and names must be coordinated in the same network.

Thanks for reply, my 4 plcs are part of one line, 5th is the just the water supply part, i can run without it.

For shared coupler use, take a look at the link I have attached. It looks like it can be done but no one did it yet ;)

I cannot go for I-Device, it's separate network so PN-PN coupler was the designers first idea. He saw the manual and figured out that I can use it, now I'm stuck.

Ok, too late to edit, so I'll reply to my own question.

I have tested this with 5 plcs in the same project. The idea of the shared access is not clearly stated in the manual so it took me few buckets of coffee - You have to copy an existing coupler in hardware, paste it and then select couple and then there is possibility to select which slots will be used for different plc, what is pretty confusing - You have 3 instances of the same device present in the hardware config.

Thank You very much for help.

I tried to find something on Siemens Support. Only found some generic descriptions. There is no FAQ or sample project. Good that you made it work.
Maybe post a few screenshots. Someone else may find it useful.

Sure thing.
So, first step is to place X1 side coupler ( left ) on desired bus, and configure inputs and outputs the regular way.

Xu5Wzc2.png

Next step is to place X2 side of the coupler, even on empty project. And now fun starts.
After placing X2 anywhere, we need to go back to X1, double click it, and in
Coupling tab, select network and X2 side of the coupler that we connect to.

63660pH.png

From now on, any change done to X1 or X2 side will be automatically reflected on the other side. That was pretty confusing for a moment, because that functionality is described nowhere, and I was suprised that something changed my config on the other side.

Next step is to enable sharing of the device, and thats also a little confusing if You know it from TIA.

You have to copy existing X1 part ( because X1 will be the side that I want to share for 4 plcs ) into another plc hardware config. Software of course will not let You name it the same name and assign the same IP address.

Next open the Shared tab of coupler properties, and select which elements You would like to couple.
After doing it - the shared devices on all instances get the same Profinet name and IP address and we are ready for assigning slots.
On below screen I've coupled my base 4371 unit with 3 others.

rzidA9V.png

Next part is just plain and simple, just go to Access tab on each of Your plcs separately and select who controls which areas of the coupler.

dSCFPKO.png

After that, compile and download all Your plcs hardware config on the X1 side as well as plc on the X2 side, otherwise You'll get an error saying that left and right side of the coupler is not equal.

I've just discovered that You can share ET-200 modules between 2 or more controllers that way.

The manuals I've used are:

PN-PN coupler hardware manual

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/attachments/44319532/pn_pn_coupler_hardware_manual_en-US_en-US.pdf?download=true

MSI/MSO Shared device config

This one is for TIA portal, I could not find one for step7 and it took me a lot of guessing but pointed to the direction that this is possible to do.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/109736536/how-in-step-7-(tia-portal)-do-you-configure-access-to-a-shared-device-and-the-function-module-internal-shared-input-shared-output-(msi-mso)-?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Ok, too late to edit, so I'll reply to my own question.

I have tested this with 5 plcs in the same project. The idea of the shared access is not clearly stated in the manual so it took me few buckets of coffee - You have to copy an existing coupler in hardware, paste it and then select couple and then there is possibility to select which slots will be used for different plc, what is pretty confusing - You have 3 instances of the same device present in the hardware config.

Thank You very much for help.
Could you please share your network and shared device tab