Getting started with Siemens

marvis

Hello guys,
the company I work for has always worked with Allen Bradley, except for small applications with Siemens, which we would now like to start using seriously.
Which of these starter kits do you think are ideal to start with? And why?

Thank you.

S7-1200 STARTER KIT
S7-1200 STARTER KIT C/BASIC PANEL KP300
S7-1200 STARTER KIT C/BASIC PANEL KTP400
S7-1200 STARTER KIT C/BASIC PANEL KTP700
STARTER KIT CPU1214FC+16DI+4DO+STEP7+SAF

Last edited:
Hello guys,
the company I work for has always worked with Allen Bradley, except for small applications with Siemens, which we would now like to start using seriously.
Which of these starter kits do you think are ideal to start with? And why?

Thank you.

S7-1200 STARTER KIT
S7-1200 STARTER KIT C/BASIC PANEL KP300
S7-1200 STARTER KIT C/BASIC PANEL KTP400
S7-1200 STARTER KIT C/BASIC PANEL KTP700
STARTER KIT CPU1214FC+16DI+4DO+STEP7+SAF

Get what you think is closest to what you'd use.

1) do you want a panel? if so, which size?
You should be able to simulate it on your laptop, so you don't NEED the biggest size just to play with, but a 7" panel is a sweet spot for a lot of small applications.
I've only ever seen 1 application where the machine was so simple/cheap that a KP300 made sense, so you probably want one of the larger touch panels.

2) Do you want a safety PLC? If so, get that one, and then buy a basic panel.

Honestly, I'd give serious thought to the safety PLC thing if you haven't used them before, especially if you'll have Siemens drives in the future system. At least give the Siemens sales guy a chance to sell you on safety the Siemens way before you discount it. You can do most everything over the network, and it is very cost effective (both in HW and wiring savings). That said, for a simple machine with a simple safety system, there's nothing wrong with a safety relay.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Are there so many differences between ktp400 and 700?

Major difference is screen size & resolution. 7" probably has an extra physical button or two.

They are from the same family of panels, though, so they should have the same features/functions/etc.

Again, what size do you use right now?

Thanks guys.

I think the right way is to buy 7” panel view that is the minimum panel view size that I use with Rockwell.

I think siemens invested a lot in their PLC software package in last 15 years and the result is similar to the Rockwell Studio5000. I never got to use it but did use the basic Step 7 software package around 2005 and it had its major quirks. There is a lot of tutorial youtube videos I would start there.

Thanks guys.

I think the right way is to buy 7” panel view that is the minimum panel view size that I use with Rockwell.

The other thing you can do is buy the PLC only starter kit and then buy an HMI separately, if you typically use bigger ones.

The other thing you can do is buy the PLC only starter kit and then buy an HMI separately, if you typically use bigger ones.
Yeah, you might want to check if the "basic" KTP panel is the right one for you. The KTP panels are quite inexpensive, but compared to the comfort panels, they are a bit limited both in functionality and performance.

You forgot to look at the PLC. In all this starter kits, there is a 1212 plc. They are limited to 1 expansion module, so only for really small machines..

Starter kits are great for beginners and private people, but for companies, I don't think it matters much. Choose the plc you need, choose the hmi and buy TIA basic..

My favorite is 1214.. As for HMI, we use ktp700 and ktp400 both, and bigger is better, but ktp400 is usable, on small machines quite enough..

Yeah, you might want to check if the "basic" KTP panel is the right one for you. The KTP panels are quite inexpensive, but compared to the comfort panels, they are a bit limited both in functionality and performance.

That would mean getting TIA advanced too. And since he is looking at 1212 I doubt he needs something special...

But by the way, what are the most notable differences in functionality?
We use basic panels almost allways (there is a Scada that does the higher functions so we don't need it on the panels).

But by the way, what are the most notable differences in functionality?
Off the top of my head...
limited to what graphics can be programmed. Circles and squares, but no triangles or polygons for example.
No scripting.
Archiving and recipes is different or limited.
less tags, less screens, less everything.
The performance is noticably lower.
Both DP and PN onboard as standard.
Housing is all-plastic versus metal-plastic.

Thanks so much for all the advice.
Based on possible future needs, the choice fell on the S7-1200 STARTER KIT C / BASIC PANEL KTP700 package with Step7 basic floating license.
And I try to progress as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Since you're buying TIA Portal, I would instead buy their simulator and not worry about buying hardware until you actually need to use it. The simulator is light years ahead of RS Emulate and you can create and simulate the entire solution in your laptop. This being said, some of those kits aren't particularly expensive either... so it's really up to you.

Also, sireously look into what functions are and use your code around them. It's one of the things I miss the most having to work on Rockwell now.