Program language for Industrial PC

jwalz2014

I’m trying to figure out what this programming language is. It is for a Muller Weingarten press with a TR Electronic Industrial PC. I estimate build date to be around 1994.

I have somewhat of an idea of what the program is doing. But would enjoy looking further into this language. It most reminds me of a programming language for a microcontroller where you have to load accumulators and what not.

Thanks for the help in advance.

9BFADD08-EDD5-4D10-AF21-F87BE5508822.jpg E2DA7D61-53ED-419B-AC3C-92025327C9D2.jpg

It looks like Siemens S5 statement list, with german mnemonics.
U = UND, i.e AND etc.

Yes, S5 and also S7 does math by loading accumulators and then doing the math operation on the accumulators.

I dont know how this could be controlling an industrial PC.
I know that IBH Softec has made a Siemens S5 compatible soft-PLC. But that would be after 1994.

Jesper is absolutely correct, S5 in STL German Language. If this is on the PC then it is probably just a print file otherwise how would you print it out unless you have S5 software.
I suspect there is probably a PLC somewhere, however, a number of German engineers that used to work for Siemens left to set up their own companies.
I know of a couple, one of which created a simulation package for S5, The other cheaper hardware expansion cards.
Of course it may not have anything to do with the system at all just a left over file from another project. Try posting a pic of the unit ("PC") in question.
And if possible any I/O cards.

Last edited:
At one of my previous employers we had a Siemens Industrial PC that was programmed with Step5. I think the reasoning behind it was that it had faster scan times than the S5 PLCs of that time. It also had an ancient CRT touch monitor for HMI.

For OP: Try finding a programming manual/reference for the "STL" (statement list) programming language for Siemens Step5 if you are interested in learning more about it.

Been over 20 years since I did any S5 so the memory has degraded a bit but here goes:
UN = Bitwise AND NOT
SPB = Jump conditional to the label (JC in English) JU is jump unconditional JNC is jump if not (sorry cannot remember German unconditional jump)

*** = Segment end (end of ladder instruction)
L = load value into accumulator 1 (note L KF+1 L KF +10 first moves 1 into accumulator 1 then the 1 into accumulator 2 and 10 into accumulator 1).
T = transfer to a memory
MB = Marker byte (memory byte)
MW = Marker Word (memory word)
C DBxx is call of a data block i.e. Call Data block 10 (data blocks are areas of retentive memory in blocks of 255 words (on larger PLC's can be used as larger blocks with special addressing).
DW is a Data word of the called block
UW = AND word
ON = OR NOT bit
O = OR Bit
U( AND Function
) end of AND function (Note can be OR O( or AND U(
S = Bit Set
R = Bit Reset
= is Equals i.e. an output instruction (true or false)depending on the preceding logic
><F = Not equal
!=F = equal
>F = Less than
<F Greater than
Note: KF is fixed point (integer), KG = Float KH = Hex
TAK means swap accumulators (often used after a math function to put the first value back into Accumulator 1).
There are many instructions so as said before you really need the S5 manual for STL. in S5 Function blocks cannot be displayed in ladder only program blocks so in reality the *** segment end are not strictly required also jumps cannot be done in program blocks. I believe that Ladder in function blocks only appeared in S7.
OB = organisation block, OB1 is the main cyclic block used to call the other blocks but other blocks can be called within blocks.
There are other OB's for interrupt, time, start up etc.
Hope this may help....
Just found this probably would have saved me having to rack my brain but the instructions are in English i.e. A instead of U etc.
https://cache.industry.siemens.com/dl/files/150/1086150/att_1992/v1/948then.pdf