Communication between PLC OMRON CQM1 and Laptop

AB2005

Hi;

I have a DUPONT brand machine having OMRON PLC CQM1-CPU21-E. I have CX Programmer installed in my Laptop having W1indow10. I want to go online but finding a way forward.

I have an interface unit OMRON CPM1-CIF01 but failed to build communication. Please help me out.

If you have the correct serial cable and the correct com port selected in CX programmer then Auto Connect should find the PLC.
Do you have a fixed Com port in your Windows10 machine? Is so, try a USB/Serial adapter.
If you are using a USB/Serial, check in Device manager which com port has been allocated to it.

If you have the correct serial cable and the correct com port selected in CX programmer then Auto Connect should find the PLC.
Do you have a fixed Com port in your Windows10 machine? Is so, try a USB/Serial adapter.
If you are using a USB/Serial, check in Device manager which com port has been allocated to it.

Hello.
Thanks for your answer. Do you please guide about the pin out of cable from interface module to Laptop?

I don't have a fixed serial cable. I am using USB/Serial cable. System assigns Com3 to the port which I mention in Cx Programmer.

Is it possible to build communication without interface module CPM1-CIF01?

Is it possible to build communication without interface module CPM1-CIF01?
I haven't used one for a few years butI'm pretty sure it is, I've never used a CPM1-CIF01

I don't have the pinout to hand but from memory it's 2-3 3-2 5-5 and possibly link 7-8 on the pc end , I'm sure you could google it to check

Hello

I have successfully uploaded the program and then downloaded into new same model of PLC. The existing HMI (NT11) communicates well with PLC. But I have found that machine operation doesn't start while with original PLC all operations are OK. Looks like some things could not copy from original PLC. Do you please guide which things should I check in original PLC to set them same in new PLC?
I don't have experience with Omron. So please help me out.

If you copied the plc program from the original then it should work. The only other thing is any data in the data tables, there may be some value stored in memory that is required to start the machine. It's been so long since I used Omron but there must be a way of saving the data in the data tables or perhaps there is a variable field on the HMI that needs a value, I suspect that if there is data on the old PLC then this needs to be copied over to the new one.
You should be able to verify the PLC program by doing a compare with your copy and the old PLC, I find it unlikely that if you uploaded the program from the old one that it missed something other than variable data stored in the retentive memory, if it did not retrieve the whole program or it got corrupted I would expect that it would not have let you download it if corrupted to the new PLC.

In CX-Programmer go to the Tools menu.
There is a PLC Backup tool.
This will save all the data in the plc as well as the program.
You can backup the plc, then transfer the data to a new plc.

gtsuport

In CX-Programmer go to the Tools menu.
There is a PLC Backup tool.
This will save all the data in the plc as well as the program.
You can backup the plc, then transfer the data to a new plc.

gtsuport

Hi;

Thanks for spending time to reply.
As per your suggestion, I connected with PLC via its RS232C Port and PC's Com3 (USB to RS232 converter), uploaded its program successfully. Then tried to make backup in Backup utility but system showed a message that first set the Com port in Host Link while in Host Link com dialog box, the portion of Com port is empty.
Please see the attached screen shots and guide.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited:
Have not seen this before.
Maybe the CQM1 does not support PLC backup.
If you go into the Memory option in the Project Workspace on the left, then select D and H memory and then Monitor those memory areas, you should be able to save them in the project.
Then you can transfer them to the new processor.

Have not seen this before.
Maybe the CQM1 does not support PLC backup.
If you go into the Memory option in the Project Workspace on the left, then select D and H memory and then Monitor those memory areas, you should be able to save them in the project.
Then you can transfer them to the new processor.
Hello
Thanks a lot for your help. By following your instructions, I have successfully downloaded the register values in new PLC and found the machine run well with new PLC.

Last edited: