Cant Connect to PLC

benkishpaugh

I am trying to connect to a 1756-L71S GuardLogix 5570 Safety Controller and it wont let me upload of download or even go online.I have checked versions and firmware and IP addresses for the past two weeks and cannot find the reason why. Also I do not know if this is the same issue but I cannot get the EDS files as well.

Is the PLC working currently or are you trying to load it on your desk? Is there are a major fault on it?

I remember that I had a faulty Ethernet/IP card on a Guardlogix rack that managed to sometimes break the link between the regular controller and the safety controllers which triggered a major fault, and erasing completely the program. You also coul not connect when it was in fault.

You should be able to upload the EDS from the USB port, have you verified the Ethernet settings ?

Just yesterday I found I had two bad Ethernet cables, I dont think I have ever found one bad one let alone two in the same day on the same project

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=125526

Can you ping the IP address? and what driver are you using in RSlinx? have you tried the other one? and welcome to the club!

I have verified the Ethernet I have used a few different cables I can ping the IP And I can access the web browser. I have used the ethernet and ethernet ip.

And the PLC is in the run mode (not faulted) as Iner suggested? and you can see it in RSLinx ?

It is version 30 I have on my computer 20,28,30,32 This is actually occurring on several devices so it may be a LAN issue but I am trying to cover my bases to see if it is not a PC issue. Plus I am concerned about the EDS files On my last work computer I had a problem with it to.

I am at a loss... I have never not been able to get the EDS from the USB, I can see the Ethernet port not working but not the USB, have you tried a different PC with this processor? are all the LEDs flashing correctly sometimes if they are stuck in a boot up cycle or if the firmware was not downloaded complete they will act strange, was this or is this running correct otherwise? do you have another Ethernet card you can install on the rack and go through that card? kinda grasping at straws now...

It is version 30 I have on my computer 20,28,30,32 This is actually occurring on several devices so it may be a LAN issue but I am trying to cover my bases to see if it is not a PC issue. Plus I am concerned about the EDS files On my last work computer I had a problem with it to.

You mentioned you think it could be a LAN issue. Does this mean you've been trying to connect via some remote ethernet port that may be going through a layer 3 switch, say in a server room?

If so, have you tried taking the LAN out of the equation and connecting your laptop directly to the PLC's ethernet port? I have seen managed switches do weird things where it lets you do an ICMP ping but there may be rules to restrict CIP traffic to specific IP's which would prevent you from getting online. It's a long shot but worth a try!

It is in run mode and not faulted I can see it on RSlinx classic but it shows as unrecognized decvice

You should be able to right click on the module that is unrecognized and "Upload EDS file from Device". This should take you to a upload wizard and you just follow the steps. Usually works perfect.