Shining revelations in PAID rockwell e-learning.

PreLC

Found this gem: https://imgur.com/NkI607V

Green means rockwell's 'correct', what you are looking at is a review of my answers.

Not even the first thing I found wrong in here. I selected 0 and 10 earlier but my score was lower than 80%, tried deliberately doing wrong answers, got a 100% this time. First party, paid support. Apparantly even with their training, you can get better but can't pay more...

Maybe I can chalk it upto the training just being new.

Last edited:
The Compare is A is less than or equal to B
A is -10
so -10 is less than 0 or 10
unless the compare doesn't compare the high order bit (15 or 31)
but he word "Value" indicates they are looking at them
so it looks like they have it wrong
if you can test it in a controller

The Compare is A is less than or equal to B
A is -10
so -10 is less than 0 or 10
unless the compare doesn't compare the high order bit (15 or 31)
but he word "Value" indicates they are looking at them
so it looks like they have it wrong
if you can test it in a controller

Did test it on an emulator just to check myself, their answers are not correct.

Any automated educational testing system can get a bad answer key or evade careful review by subject matter experts, and the best way to handle it is to provide feedback to the vendor.

I've been through this with both Rockwell and other vendors electronic testing. It caused a significant conflict between me and the manager of the training and services organization a decade ago. The most likely reason is that the beta-test product used the wrong answer keys, but he and I chose to shout less charitable hypotheses at one another in front of an annual regional meeting.

In the ControlLogix and other A-B controllers, LEQ tests whether Source A is less than or equal to Source B. The answer key would be correct for GRT, GEQ, or the reverse argument position.

Last edited:
I took the e-learning in April. There was so much wrong with it. It's like they put incorrect answers in just so you spend an hour googling the **** out of it until you become an expert in the topic. It was horribly frustrating. I even went back and took photos of the content they provided that contradicted the test at the end.

I took the e-learning in April. There was so much wrong with it. It's like they put incorrect answers in just so you spend an hour googling the **** out of it until you become an expert in the topic. It was horribly frustrating. I even went back and took photos of the content they provided that contradicted the test at the end.

Ever take a FAA exam?

Almost all of their answers are wrong - they want you to figure out which one would be the least wrong so you have the best chance of not crashing a perfectly good airplane into someone's house.

I read the topic and thought we are going to talk about the movie, The Shining

I took the intermediate industrial network course. Not to bad but I didn't pass all the test either. Still, it was free and I did learned a bit especially on how the technical detail of resilient protocols.

There is a certain element of proving yourself right that makes the learning more effective. Problem is, not everyone knows they really were right and the "answer" was wrong so they don't investigate further. They just accept the answer as being correct. This could be very effective if it was intentional. But they would not do something like that.

I've taken plenty of online training and it is certainly not unusual to see mistakes in the quizzes. I took one last week where the exact same true/false question was posed twice. One location it had to be true to be correct while the other had to be false. Same exact question and answers. I notified them of the mistake and they fixed it.

OG

There is a certain element of proving yourself right that makes the learning more effective. Problem is, not everyone knows they really were right and the "answer" was wrong so they don't investigate further. They just accept the answer as being correct. This could be very effective if it was intentional. But they would not do something like that.

I've taken plenty of online training and it is certainly not unusual to see mistakes in the quizzes. I took one last week where the exact same true/false question was posed twice. One location it had to be true to be correct while the other had to be false. Same exact question and answers. I notified them of the mistake and they fixed it.

OG

I have a very small number(<30) of people in our Elearning contract, can't give the exact number, but the cost is way above 50k+ per year.

Expected some QC on it. Just one contract of that size is worth it to have a better QC for ALL courses they offer.

Any automated educational testing system can get a bad answer key or evade careful review by subject matter experts, and the best way to handle it is to provide feedback to the vendor.

I've been through this with both Rockwell and other vendors electronic testing. It caused a significant conflict between me and the manager of the training and services organization a decade ago. The most likely reason is that the beta-test product used the wrong answer keys, but he and I chose to shout less charitable hypotheses at one another in front of an annual regional meeting.

In the ControlLogix and other A-B controllers, LEQ tests whether Source A is less than or equal to Source B. The answer key would be correct for GRT, GEQ, or the reverse argument position.

Thanks for the insight Ken, reported promptly.