tia portal v15 with v20 drives

dahnuguy

Tia Portal V15.1
CPU 1515-2 PN

Profinet cable to remote interface

PROFINET interface
CM PtP RS422/485 HF

485 wiring to each drive from Cm PTP card.

6 V20 VFDs connected by 485 to the CM PtP RS422/485 HF.

found it
P2011[0] USS address Sets the unique address for the inverter.
Range: 0 to 31 (factory default: 0)

so I assume then that the USS Drive function handles the rest of it and automagically puts the drive commands to the drive and returns the drive feedback to the specified DB...

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with V20.

According to this manual:
https://cache.industry.siemens.com/...erating_instructions_complete_en-US_en-US.pdf
The USS drive address is set by parameter P2011.

According to this application example:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/109480894
The V20 drives are not directly part of the TIA project.

I can see how one should expect that both PLCs and drives and the interconnection should be part of the same TIA project. That is how it works with other drives such as Sinamics G120 or S120. I guess that is not supported with V20. I dont have V20 in my hardware catalog in TIA. Not sure if they can be added somehow.

Apart from that, I cannot wait for TIA to reach version V20. That will be fun when you search for manuals and sample projects for V20 the TIA programming software or V20 the drive.

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with V20.

According to this manual:
https://cache.industry.siemens.com/...erating_instructions_complete_en-US_en-US.pdf
The USS drive address is set by parameter P2011.

According to this application example:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/109480894
The V20 drives are not directly part of the TIA project.

I can see how one should expect that both PLCs and drives and the interconnection should be part of the same TIA project. That is how it works with other drives such as Sinamics G120 or S120. I guess that is not supported with V20. I dont have V20 in my hardware catalog in TIA. Not sure if they can be added somehow.

Apart from that, I cannot wait for TIA to reach version V20. That will be fun when you search for manuals and sample projects for V20 the TIA programming software or V20 the drive.

Thanks for the quick response...
I kept looking and found the parameter to set the address , and in another program I have for comparison, the V20s are not in the hardware config, but it seems odd to me.

Just wanted to double check.

I guess I am expecting there to be some trick to this set up.

Siemens is never simple and never easy. Even when the guy in the video does the exact same thing in 12 minutes.

"That's engineering efficiency."

For future reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIVzhppfUR4

page 136

what is the difference between using modbus rtu and USS?
they seem to imply either can be used with the same hardware.
Is there any adantage to one over the other?

As far as I know, they are simply two serial protocol standards.
Siemens uses USS for all their drives, also for the internal connection between a Profibus or Profinet CU Control Unit and the drive itself.
Modbus RTU is a kind of industry standard, so it makes sense to support that as well.
I would stick with USS in an all-Siemens project as it is the default for the Siemens drives.

V20 is the low end drive.
No profinet
Programming is through the bop. So exercise your fingers unless you bought the wireless thing
I’m surprised you didn’t go with g120 but I assume you we’re trying to save a dollar

USS isn’t that hard to setup.
USS uses pkw and pzd data - process and parameter data

Here’s a sample

https://support.industry.siemens.co...a-simatic-s7-1200-1500-via-uss?dti=0&lc=en-IT

Last edited:
V20 is the low end drive.
No profinet
Programming is through the bop. So exercise your fingers unless you bought the wireless thing
I’m surprised you didn’t go with g120 but I assume you we’re trying to save a dollar

USS isn’t that hard to setup.
USS uses pkw and pzd data - process and parameter data

Here’s a sample

https://support.industry.siemens.co...a-simatic-s7-1200-1500-via-uss?dti=0&lc=en-IT

Hardware is not my choice, I am just a programmer.

Thanks for the info and the link.

I would prefer the G120.

Oh god, that won't be fun. On the plus side, it'll be 10 years from now at the rate they're going.

The never ending story of companies spending $200 on software hours to save $100 on hardware.

Oh no, this will cost thousands more.

This isn't even the best part. The 8 motors on the machine are a weird movifit fdc that is prone to comm failure and just plain weird to get running.

And then for some reason we have about 16 other motors on pumps using 2 different 485 to ethernet converters.

ANNNND the whole machine is wired with the cheapest ethernet cable available at lowes.

Not shielded and installed in parallel with high voltage lines.....and no reliable grounding.

Annnnnnd it is all months behind schedule when I walk in and everyone is in a crazy hurry for everything to just work and the boss can't understand why the programming takes so long.

Annnnd 3 other programmers have worked on it and left for various reasons.

So I have too much code to throw away and start over and none of it actually works and most of it is just not right. Like full of structs that can't be easily addressed, which should be UDTs.

Annnnnnd boss keeps wanting to make things move so they can have mechanics working on anything that doesn't work right.

Annnnd they want daily meetings for an hour then several unofficial meetings randomly spread throughout the day where the boss wants to understand what the holdup is and also wants to join in the problem solving process because you know....programming is simple.

I still think it is amazing how after 30 years, every job still manages to use some combination of stuff I have never seen before.

You would think that at some point people would have settled on 3 or 4 basic approaches to standardizing automation systems.

Why do we keep letting mechanical engineers design control systems and select parts? Stay in your lane.

Why do these parts even exist? Why do we need millions of drives and so many control options and protocols? Just stop using serial comms people.

And stop using un-shielded comm cable in wire trays next to 480VAC.

Stop waiting until the end after fighting through unending issues to add ground rods. Lets spend as much time and effort as we can to delay installing the ground system. Then complain about the cost of the delays.

Oh yeah and the heaters use some manufacturer home made looking ethernet protocol adaptor that sort of works and has zero tech support.

Siemens profinet cable is "on order" meanwhile, I am supposed to debug code and write code using ethernet that sort of works most of the time.

I love it.

Now I need a keyboard with some stuck keys...and a PS2 plug.

Oh god, that won't be fun. On the plus side, it'll be 10 years from now at the rate they're going.

YAY new HMI software coming too and all the hotfixes and updates and the hours of installing and un installing and the new stuff wont install if you have an older version and the new version only works with the specific version of windows you don't have and isn't compatible with PLCSIm...

And none of the methods that worked in WinCC "version anything" will work anymore...

And they will give it some name that returns millions of unrelated google hits.

Then you start a new job during all this and they want all the new stuff and hand you a new cheap laptop with a stack of licenses that "should work" and you are supposed to start working on a project that is months behind already tomorrow. (this happened to me during the S7 5.5 to 5.6 32 vs 64 bit windows 7 home / pro period)

Why don't we all just use Linux and develop our own software?

Can you imagine what the manufacturers would do if we all just hacked all the hardware to work on freeware open source code?

V20 comms via TIA V16

Greetings everyone, I have a TIA V16 project in which I set up 7 drives to communicate with an S7 1500 controller via RS485 using USS protocol. The drives are Simatic V20s daisychained to the bus and are properly terminated with resistors. I use the USS DRIVE CONTROL 31 function block for each drive all located in a single FC and all using the same single instance DB as recommended by Siemens. I then call this FC containing the FBs every 120ms from the MAIN OB. I then call the USS PORT SCAN 31 function in a cyclic OB set at 70ms cycle time. In each V20 i use PZD word length of 2 and a PKW of 4. Both setpoint and commands are sent through USS. What I have observed is every time take out incoming power to any one of the VFDs, the rest of them get F72 comms error and fail to communicate with the PLC. Is this behaviour normal? What causes it? I use an RS485/ 422 PtP BA module sending data at 19200bps. Strangely enough it doesn't show any fault even though the diagnostics interupt setting is enabled on it. What I noticed is that as I was setting up the VFDs one by one, the F72 fault on the BOPs only pop up on an already configured drives. So, the VFDs that hadn't been commissioned yet for RS485, but were already physicaly terminated/ connected to the PLC, didn't fault the bus when they were powered down. They only faulted the bus upon switching them off only after RS485 activation (post commissioning).