SLC 5/04 Processors Randomly 'Disconnecting' from the DH+ network.

Simon Webber

Our plant has a DH+ network containing Allen Bradley SLC5/04 & Allen Bradley PLC 5 processors.
The intermittent problem we are having is that one of our SLC 5/04 processors will 'island' themselves from the DH+ network therefore not communicating with the rest of the plant.
To get it back onto the DH+ network we have to switch the processor from 'Stop' mode back into 'Run' mode.
The problem is not confined to one particular SLC 5/04 processor, it happens randomly with any one, somtimes two SLC 5/04 processor throughout the network at least once a week. Note that there are no problems with the PLC 5 processors.
While the SLC 5/04 processor is 'islanded', when I autobrowse the DH+ network using RS Linx,the fault code next to the 'islanded' SLC 5/04 processor shows: COMMS. ERROR 00000001. Has anyone any ideas why they are randomly throwing themselves off the network?

Comm_Error.jpg

The only time I have had 5/04 drop off the network like you are describing is when I did not have a terminating resistor at both ends. It would just randomly drop off the processors.

I'm sure others will chime in on some of the other problems you need to check for.