Beckhoff adding I/O modules

Hello

i am having trouble mapping the variables i defined to the physical I/O modules on the plc

I have scanned the plc from within the system manager and it has returned 3 devices to me. i chose device 1 as it said "CX9000" which is my plc. in the tree menu it gave only one option below the device 1 which can be seen in the attached image.

i went through the procedure for appending terminals by specifying the i.o modules such as KL1480 etc...i downloaded the program however when i force the signals in plc control the relevant i/o light on front of the l/O modules will not light.

regards
brendan

beckhoff 1.jpg

We need to see more details of your mappings. Can you expand down the tree to an IO point that you have linked?

There is a quick start tutorial on YouTube for TwinCAT that goes through the linking process.

Hello

i have attached the expanded tree image. i literally right clicked on the "I/O devices" i then "scan devices". it came up with 3 devices (these can be seen as CX 9000, NOV/RAM and RT Ethernet. i appended them all but chose the CX 9000 because i assume that is the plc. i then "scan boxes" and it found that CX-9000 BK item.

i then manually "append terminal" and found my relevant I/O modules and added them.

for the program i defined two digital inputs and two digital outputs

regards
brendan

beckhoff2.jpg

After linking the variables you should reassign everything, press the regedit like button to get this done... TwinCAT will restart in the controller and settings will be applied, then you should be able to force the variables and see the lights on.

oh i see thanks, i take it you mean the "activate configuration" button in the system manager?

I must try that Monday as i am away from the plc for the weekend. I hope that i didn't try that already, i cant remember if i did when i was messing around with it yesterday

was i correct in selecting the "device 1" (seen in the attachment i had earlier on) which had the red beckhoff plc symbol beside it as the correct device? dose anyone know what the RTethernet and other device are?

one other question, when i broadcast the search for the plc it finds it and i add the device and the "X" appears indicting. however when i expand the tree on the device i get a red x over the plc as can be seen here.

i simply downloaded twincat 2 from the beckhoff website. i haven't registered it but i have an actual CX9000 plc. is the software i have fully functional since i downloaded it and it is not registered?

thanks for the help, i am new to the beckhoff range

regards
Brendan

beckhoff 3.jpg

was i correct in selecting the "device 1" (seen in the attachment i had earlier on) which had the red beckhoff plc symbol beside it as the correct device? dose anyone know what the RTethernet and other device are?
This is for connecting to Real-Time Ethernet devices such as the BK9000. You can add remote IO over Ethernet using this.
i simply downloaded twincat 2 from the beckhoff website. i haven't registered it but i have an actual CX9000 plc. is the software i have fully functional since i downloaded it and it is not registered?
The software is fully functional for 30 days. After 30 days the run-time will expire, but not the programming software. Since you are using a CX9000, the run time resides in that processor and will not expire. After the 30 day period, you can continue to use the software to program your CX9000.

You must connect to the controller following those steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T171NIyH74

After that add the IO cards (try to search for them while the controller is in config mode (blue led).

Once that is done, load the PLC Project into the system manager.

Make the links between IOs and the PLC Project (like you've already done).

Activate the configuration pressing the "REGEDIT like" button in the sytem manager.

Regarding the red cross, you are trying to connect to your local computer, if you don't have the runtime running at the momento you won't be able to do it, but moreover you need to connect to the controller and not to your computer. see the YouTube video for help.

;)

how about resources tab are they in the list and what are the adresses used, then use these adresses in the varlist with AT %IX0.x etc.

very good yes i seem to have gotten a program running and the it is driving the physical inputs and outputs.

one big problem i had was forgetting to include the jumpers for powering the modules!:)
thanks very much everyone.

now its a case of trying to establish communication to a SCADA system via modbus

hello

i am having more trouble with the twincat system. i think it is because my licence must have expired. (although i dont think i have the system for more than 30 days)

here is a step by step overview of the problem.

the ip address of my plc is 172.31.77.197

originally i set the ams id to 172.31.77.1.1.1 in the system control manager. this allowed me to broadcast and find my plc and add it. this worked fine up until today.

i have now changed the ams id in the system manager to 172.31.77.197.1.1. this allows me to broadcast and find the plc at 172.31.77.197. however i cannot connect to it? the add rout dose not result in an "X" indicating connection.

basically does anyone know how to set up the twincat system when you have not registered it but have a CX9000 beckhoff plc?

thanks

i think it is because my licence must have expired. (although i dont think i have the system for more than 30 days)
If your 30 days expires on your PC, you can still use it to program the CX9000. It is only the run-time that expires. The CX9000 has its own run-time that will not expire.
here is a step by step overview of the problem.

the ip address of my plc is 172.31.77.197

originally i set the ams id to 172.31.77.1.1.1 in the system control manager. this allowed me to broadcast and find my plc and add it. this worked fine up until today.

i have now changed the ams id in the system manager to 172.31.77.197.1.1. this allows me to broadcast and find the plc at 172.31.77.197. however i cannot connect to it? the add rout dose not result in an "X" indicating connection.

basically does anyone know how to set up the twincat system when you have not registered it but have a CX9000 beckhoff plc?
Changing IP or AMS addresses can mess up your router entries. The best thing to do it to delete all router entries from both the CX9000 and your PC and start again. To do it in the CX9000, you can use System Manager, but you will need a connection. The other option is CERHOST to remotely log onto the CX9000 and go to the registry editor.