RIUP for PointIO RTBs possible

Dryhops

Is it possible or advisable to remove an RTB, then reinsert a new RTB on a 1734-AENTR without power cycling? This is done with modules of course, but the only documentation I could find that concerns RTBs is ambiguous:

From 1734-in590,

When you connect or disconnect the Removable
Terminal Block (RTB) with field side power
applied, an electrical arc can occur. This could
cause an explosion in hazardous location
installations.
Be sure that power is removed or the area is
nonhazardous before proceeding.

This doesn't explicitly say that it can or should be done. Other than explosion hazards, will I risk damaging equipment swapping RTBs under power? This would be the RTB of a 1734-IE2C module, wired with two 4-20mA loops from a transmitter.

Thanks for your time

I would pull the module, then swap the RTB... wouldn't have an issue doing this with power on as long as the area is non-hazardous

The 1734-IE2C is unusual among POINT I/O modules because it connects user terminals to the Field Power Bus (FPB) inside the POINT I/O assembly.

If you look at the wiring diagram, 1734-IN027, you'll see that Terminals 4 and 5 are connected to DC Common (C) and terminals 6 and 7 are connected to +24V DC (V).

You'll also see a note there: "Not Protected. 0.3 A Max".

So the 1734-IE2C actually has a relatively large amount of current available, because it was built to give 4-20 mA transmitters access to the Field Power bus.

I believe that the 1734-IE2C module itself has to be inserted in order for that power to become available on the RTB terminals; if the terminals wired directly to the field power bus, then all modules of all types would have that power available, and they don't.

So the spark risk is about the same whether you unplug the removable terminal bloc, or unplug the 1734-IE2C module itself.

And the risk of damage is the same as well: the modules are designed to be RIUP, so it won't hurt to unplug the 1734-RTB.

Quick general information post in passing...

721098 - Rockwell Automation product lines support Removal and Insertion Under Power (RIUP)
Access Level: Everyone

Other than a hazardous rated location, or any other impact on operations, there should be no other concerns with performing RIUP on the 1734 POINT I/O platform.

G.