Cutler-Hammer D100 RAM to EEPROM Error 25

R_Burgundy

When I try to save ladder logic from the RAM of Cutler-Hammer D100CRA40 PLC to EEPROM (I tried both D100EE10 and D100EE28), I'm getting Error 25. The PLC switch is in HALT. I used Command 41 (this is from manual: to save RAM program to PROM). Command 41 is described as Sequential Memory Read.

Error 25 described as:
- Cause: attempt made to write into unerased PROM. Remedy: erase PROM.
- Cause: Attempt made to write with PROM installed. Remedy: remove PROM.

Neither has a sense, as manual says: "PROM erasing is not necessary because you can overwrite any program stored on the PROM module (RM17)". And when you transfer from RAM, EEPROM needs to be installed.

EEPROMS are Series A1 (there is no external R/W switch on a module). There is an internal jumper, though; I believe its position makes D100EE10 module interchangeable with D100EE28.

Would it be some different command, not 41?

D100EE10_Series_A1.jpg D100EE28_Series_A1.jpg EPROM28_1.jpg

I tried CMD43, this one writes ROM content into RAM. For some reason this command isn't listed in D100 manual, like 41, 42, 46, etc.
I also moved the internal jumper; no effect. Those commands which work still continue to work, and those which don't (e.g. CMD41) still generate the error.
As I said before, A2 series EEPROMs have R/W switch, but I don't have that one to test. I'm wondering if having a written content in EEPROM has to do anything with ERROR25.

Last edited:
CMD 40 is the EEPROM Erase command for the EEPROM.

See this thread, especially post #4:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=12875

See this thread, especially post # 10.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=79069
Also, download the RM66 manual in post # 9 as the RM66 is the original number that Toshiba used for the EEPROM.

Please verify that there is just one jumper and not two. I thought there were two jumpers on some models of the module.
If only one, try with jumper completely removed as it might just be a Write Protect jumper.

Unless the picture in the file EPROM28-1.jpg is the actual EEPROM you are using, please take the cover off the EEPROM, take a picture of it and attach it here to the thread.

I am just going on memory here so I am mostly just guessing.

Last edited:
Cool, thank you! I will read that and do some more checks.

The exposed EEPROM on the picture is the actual D100EE28 EEPROM, which I was testing. Another D100 document gives brief descriptions of D100EE10, D100UV10, D100EE28, and D100EE14. For D100EE10 it tells: "Internal jumper allows it to be directly interchangeable with the D100EE28".

D100EE10 is listed for D100 20, 40, 40H controllers.
D100EE28 is listed for D100 28, 20A, 40A controllers.

40A is different from 40 in that it can accommodate analog modules; 40H is similar to 40 but when extra modules are used it can accommodate more inputs/outputs than 40

Manual further says: "They can only be programmed on the controllers indicated". This may explain why D100EE28 wouldn't work on my D100CRA40, but wouldn't explain why D100EE10 (which came with this PLC) also doesn't work.

If you have any additional manuals or info other than the large(13Megs) Toshiba main manual please attach them to this thread for future reference as they a becoming very scarce, thanks.

If you have any additional manuals or info other than the large(13Megs) Toshiba main manual please attach them to this thread for future reference as they a becoming very scarce, thanks.

I tried to attach some but the file size for PDF is limited by 300 kB. I'm going to send some to your inbox.