Unable to Make Online Edit - RSLogix5000

b.bartel

I am unable to start any online edits, attempting to double click does not work and attempting to right click and select edit rung, but edit run is greyed out.

I was able to make edits in the past.

I am online with the PLC, the PLC is in Rem Run and there are no other edits currently showing in the online edit status.

We use Activation Manager to facilitate floating license activation for a group of programmers, but currently I am the only one using any of the activations and have confirmed that the activation is working.

RSLogix 5000 Pro V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)
1756-L74/B LOGIX5574 v20.013

I have attempted to make online changes to multiple PLC's with the same result.

Please let me know what additional information you need to help point me in the right direction.

I appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

Can you verify what Logix package (license) you are using. In Logix you can typically see this by going to Help then About. See if your software is: Compact, Professional, Mini, Service.

OG

This could be one possibility..
"Lock Controller command
Choose this command to lock the controller. By locking the controller, you prevent other users from being able to perform online editing of routines, and from creating or deleting controller components.

When you have the controller locked, this menu option changes to Unlock Controller. If another user has the controller locked, this menu option is disabled"

OK, that is good then. With floating licenses you can have those licenses all mixed together.

I agree that a locked controller is certainly a possibility. Look in the toolbar where it says Rem Run and see if the padlock icon appears unlocked or locked.

OG

when all else fails - shut down the software - turn the computer off - turn the computer on - restart the software (while crossing your fingers) ...

(I can't tell you how many times I've had to do this "last ditch" procedure - and usually it works when all else fails) ...

I have the option to lock the controller still and the lock appears to be unlocked.

The magical restart did not work either.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for all you input. I rebooted my laptop multiple times before posting this thread but I never tried to exit out of the FactoryTalk Activation Manager, because it was recognizing my computer as an activated user so I thought it was working properly.

I exited and reopened the FactoryTalk Activation Manager and sure enough, I was then able to edit my programs.

Thank you again.

Until next time, Stay logical!!!

I stumbled into this thread after having a similar issue. I'm not used to people going into panels, so it threw me off to see that someone had set the controller to "Run" instead of "Remote Program". Hope that helps someone else... Can't make changes in "Run".

Another bug I got hit by was there was online edits accepted and in Test Edits but the edits were not assembled, so no further edits could have been started until either the Test Edits was turned off or assembled.

Someone doing the online edits must have been in a hurry to disconnect once he saw the test was working and left it in test mode.