Tag type in Intouch Wonderware

matroskin

How can I find out tag type in Intouch?
For example, I'm using indirect analog to connect to some tag.

ind_analog.name = "some_tag";
ind_analog = 1.2;

If the some_tag is an integer type, then the program falls into error.
Is there a way to determine the type of some_tag variable?

ind_analog = 1.2;

Yes. It's called the "Tagname Dictionary". You'll find it under the "Special" tab on the file menu bar. You could also simply double click the tag in order to open the Tagname Dictionary.

he means is there a way to determine data type in the sript itself sing some function or property variable etc

Will Tag Viewer fit your needs?

What version of Intouch? You could use the Tag Viewer application to view tags from runtime. I have been adding that function to many of our applications for maintenance/troubleshooting functions.

he means is there a way to determine data type in the sript itself sing some function or property variable etc

Okay. I'm trying to imagine why I'd want a script that I had written to determine the data type of a tag that I had referenced when I wrote the script.

Thus far, I'm drawing a blank. I'd like to know how such a runtime capability could be useful.

BTW: It is possible to parse all of the dot fields associated with a particular tag within a script. I'm just drawing a blank when it comes to an actual application for this capability in runtime. I'd like to know more about what the OP is trying to accomplish.

ind_analog = 1.2;

in addition to what everyone else has said it probably fails because based on that script your tag would need to be a real because your number has a decimal point.

ind_analog = 1.2;

An IndirectAnalog tag should work with either an Integer or Real data type.

Correct, but you cannot write a value of 1.2 to an integer. would need to be real.

his script would work with an integer tag if it was like this:

ind_analog = 1;

Correct, but you cannot write a value of 1.2 to an integer. would need to be real.

his script would work with an integer tag if it was like this:

ind_analog = 1;

We are assuming that "ind_analog" has actually been defined as an IndirectAnalog tag. If not, then nothing will work. If it actually is an IndirectAnalog tag, then there should be no attempt made to directly set it's value in a script. That's not what Indirect tags are for.

The first line makes sense, if one is assigning ind_analog to mimic some_tag, which could be either an Integer or a Real data type. Then, a script (or IO) could set the value of some_tag, and that value would be reflected by ind_analog until such time as ind_analog was assigned to mimic another Integer or Real tag.