Ftview ME version 4 application restore

stallone

Hello all,

I have an old factorytalk view me HMI program that i need to edit.

However all i have is the .mer and .med files.

I managed to setup a VM with windows xp and installed Ftview me ver 4.

But when i go to restore the application, none of the options allow me to restore.

If i choose to restore a legacy file, it asks for .mea.

Is there an option to restore any of the files?
I do recall doing it before in ver 5.10, where i managed to open the ver 4 file.

but cant get it right this time round, or i forgot :)

I dont remember it either, but when you run the MER file, it create a temporay directory, look for it .... then copy that directory to someplace and works from there

I dont remember it either, but when you run the MER file, it create a temporay directory, look for it .... then copy that directory to someplace and works from there

I found the procedure

-----------------------------
Recovering FactoryTalk View/RSView Machine Edition 3.x or 4.0 Application Files
This procedure involves accessing temporary files on the computer. Temporary files are normally hidden by Windows. To make hidden files visible open Control Panel -->Folder Options -->View and select Show hidden files and folders.

Run FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station from Start Menu-->Programs-->Rockwell Software-->FactoryTalk View/RSView Enterprise. If you do not see it there, open Windows Explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSView Enterprise\MERuntime.exe. The application should look just as it does on a PanelView Plus.
Load the .MER runtime file that you wish to recover from, but do not run the application, it may display an error but ignore it.
Start FactoryTalk View Studio ME, and begin to create a new application. Type in a name that is not already in used on your computer and click the Import button.
Select the .MED file type to be imported.
Now you need to locate the temporary files created for your running application:

Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<LogedOnUserName>\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00

Windows 7:
C:\Users\<LogedOnUserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\~MER.00

Note: The Local Settings and AppData folders are hidden folders. The ~MER.00 may be named as ~MER.01, ~MER.02, etc...
Once the ~MER.00 folder has been located, select the .MED file to be imported and follow the remaining prompts.
After the import has completed and the application is finished loading into FactoryTalk View Studio, close FactoryTalk View Studio and FactoryTalk View Machine Edition Station.
If you are using FactoryTalk View Studio 5.0, you may encounter an error if the .MER file was originally created with revision 5.10 and saved as a version 3.x or 4.0 MER. In this case, please install the latest patch roll up and repeat the above procedure. You can find the latest patch rollup in 900530 - Patch Roll-up for CPR9 SRx.

At this point, the Parameter, Alarm Setup, Datalog, and Macro files are not useable and will need to be removed (see the section Removing unrecoverable files below).

Note: While attempting to import the project an error may occur: Failed to import project, unable to rename file.
In order to work around this issue, perform the following:

Create a new project with the same name as the .MED file of the ~MER.00 folder.
Right-click on the Displays in the Applications Explorer (of this new project) and choose Add component into application....
Add all the .GFX files from the GFX folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp\~MER.00 directory.
Copy the rest of the folders from this directory to the new project directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\ProjectName
Removing Unrecoverable Files
While most of the application can be recovered from the MER file, the following files cannot be recovered:

Parameter files
Alarm Setup
Datalog files
Macro files
Although the files will be listed within the application, they are not recognizable by FactoryTalk View/RSView Studio and must be removed.

Open Windows Explorer and locate the MachineAlarms.mal file in the recovered project folder M_Alarms.
Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI Projects\<MED_ProjectName>\M_Alarms\MachineAlarms.mal

Windows 7:
C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI Projects\<MED_ProjectName>\M_Alarms\MachineAlarms.mal

Delete the MachineAlarms.mal file.
Note: The original Machi
neAlarms.mal file must be deleted from the restored project before attempting to create the runtime application or else the runtime application creation will hang on this step.
Start FactoryTalk View/RSView Studio and open the recovered application.
Locate and delete all of the following files from the Application Explorer window:
All Parameter Files
All Datalog files
All Macro files

Thank you for the reply and the procedure,

i just cannot get it to work.

I have tried ver 5.10, ver 5 and even ver 4.0.

Just not getting the temp folder to display.

I cant understand if i go restore runtime file, using ver 5.0 and 5.10 it says cannot was created in earlier version.

So i installed ver 4 and still it wont restore