Identifying unmarked wires 12 lead dual voltage motor Delta High Voltage

gusterminator

Hi,
I have a 12 lead motor here with un marked leads. I would like to hook the motor up and test but have no idea what coil is what. I Ohm'd the wires and separated my coils 1 to 6. I chose a coil as #1 and #2 and hooked # one wire to + on a 12V battery. I then hooked a Volt meter up to the other sets of coils one at a time while inducing a voltage across #1 and #2. I was only expecting one set of wires to have a higher induced voltage but I got 2. 2 pairs were 0.8V and all the rest of the pairs were 0.2V.
Does this mean my 0.8 pairs are the one side of the delta?

Any help figuring this out much appreciated.

Thanks

Are you certain it is a Wye-Delta motor?

I had one maintenance tech burn up a 2 speed 12 wire motor that he wired as a Wye-Delta

Last edited:
Perhaps the winding that you hooked up the test battery is the other .8v winding. I'm thinking that the .8v windings are physically closer to the test/battery winding. I think that by observing the polarity of the induced voltage you should be able to determine the start and finish of the windings. Also, if you have a power source equal to the lower voltage, connect three equal windings and attempt to start the motor. If it fails to start , reverse one of the lower voltage windings.
you can temporarily hook one lead of each of the three remaining windings up and check the voltage between each of the open ends. The output voltage should be additive and equal to the higher voltage.

All the above is guesswork but maybe it will help some.

If it is simple and/or practical, get a motor rebuild shop to test and mark the wire leads as they run into that problem fairly often.

It is a Delta 2 voltage motor 240V Low voltage and 460V High voltage. When I switched my meter to my good meter with more of a decimal point I was able to find the closest winding. I followed this description.

1. You require a multimeter, a battery and some wires.
2. With multimeter in continuity mode identify the 6 pairs of coils
3. Mark them 1-2,3-4,5-6,7-8,9-10,11-12 temporarily
4. Now you need to identify the group coils.
5. Connect +ve of battery to wire marked with 1.Connect multimeter in appropriate range in dc voltage measuring mode to 3-4.Touch the –ve of battery to the wire marked with 2. If you could see +ve deflection observe the range. If you observe –ve deflection swap multimeter probes in 3-4. Try connecting multimeter with rest of the pairs (5-6, 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12) and observe the maximum voltage deflection. The wires which have maximum +ve deflection is the group coil of 1-2. For example, if 3-4 has maximum deflection then 1-2 and 3-4 are one coil group. Identify rest of the 2 sets with the above method.
6. Now you need to make the group coils to make them suitable for high voltage delta connection with proper polarity.
7. As you have identified coil groups 1-2 and 3-4 in step 5.Connect +ve of battery to 1.Connect multimeter +ve probe to 3 and –ve probe to 4.Touch –ve of battery to 2. Observe the deflection. If deflection is +ve then mark 1S (Starting), 2E (Ending) and mark 3E (Ending), 4S (Starting). For high voltage delta connection tie 2-3. Now you have got coil for a phase with lead 1 as starting and 4 as ending. If deflection is -ve then mark 1S (Starting), 2E (Ending) and mark 3E (Starting), 4S (Ending). For high voltage delta connection tie 2E-4E. Now you have got coil for a phase with lead 1 as starting and 3 as ending.
8. Proceed with the step 7 for rest of the coils and identify 3 groups of coils.
9. Now you have got 3 sets of coils with six wires. Do the same exercise as mentioned in step 7 to identify starting and ending of coils and connect in delta as usual.

I still have no luck. The motor Turns but ends up tripping the breaker. When I measure resistance Phase to phase I get .5 ohms on A to B, B to C and C to A.

When I measure the deflection it builds up to a value and then goes -on the way down until its 0V.
I was assuming when I get a measurement at the start if it is positive it is positive deflection.

Is this correct?

If it was me right now I would take jrwb4gbm's advice and take it to a motor rebuild shop and have them identify the wires and mark them.

Also have them make sure it is a dual voltage motor and not a Wye start/Delta run or 2 speed 12 wire motor.

When I switched my meter to my good meter with more of a decimal point ...

It is a Delta 2 voltage motor 240V Low voltage and 460V High voltage. When I switched my meter to my good meter with more of a decimal point I was able to find the closest winding. I followed this description.

As an apprentice electrician I was taught that there were firing offenses, and summary execution offenses.

Cutting the labels off of a motor fell squarely into the second category.

I think that you have the correct process, just the wrong meter. Find one with a needle and no decimal point. You want to see the deflection of the needle (which has a faster response), a digital meter has a bunch of filtering that will get in the way of this.

I couldn't find a better process for identifying your leads, but this might help:

http://apps.motorboss.com/connections/466703.pdf

Identify unmarked 3 phase 12 leads motor wye connection

If it was me right now I would take jrwb4gbm's advice and take it to a motor rebuild shop and have them identify the wires and mark them.

Also have them make sure it is a dual voltage motor and not a Wye start/Delta run or 2 speed 12 wire motor.

Hello

Can you please give me a solution for my problem?
I have a 3phase 12 lead motor but the wire are unmarked and I want to find the coils so I can connected.
Can you please tell me the procedure to do that?
I have find on internet one page that explain the way to do that but is for delta wired motor.
It is the same process for my wye wired motor or I must follow a different numbered in my coils?
My motor is 30 hp 3 phase 12 leads triple voltage 220/380/440
The instructions said that in 220 must connected delta in 380 wye and 440 delta.
I want to run it in 380 wye.

Best regards