How to charge for online support

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all

It's Sunday morning here in Ireland and I have spend about 2 hours on and off today online to a plant I do a lot if work for. Now it's not a problem as I never mind helping out someone but want do you guys charge for this. I find a lot more time now is been spent on remote access. Again I repeat I don't mind and it actually suits me as I don't have to spent time driving.
Just do you guys charge by the hour, by the call, service contract I am not actually looking for your rates

Donnchadh

Hi when I do this it is usually included in a service contract where the customer gets xxx hours of support..so is billed hourly. After a session I would typical email to say the remaining balance. The issue is that 1 hour of support may stop you getting a days work somewhere else.... but I agree not travelling is a big bonus

Cheers

The company I used to work for would provide up to 2 hours remote support for free and then after that hit them with a call-out charge and an excessive hourly rate. I now work for myself and this is a bridge I will also have to cross at some point when calls become excessive.

I usually charge 4 hours minimum. This is not just for online time....You have to also consider preparation and setup time.

We charge an hourly rate for remote access services. I wouldn't write up taking a few minutes to assist a client in troubleshooting a minor issue, but if it involves thirty minutes or more of actual work, then I'd bill them for an hour.

I usually charge 4 hours minimum. This is not just for online time....You have to also consider preparation and setup time.

Same as this.

If you have to spend an hour or so on the phone at 3AM then it's going to affect your next day.

depends on the customer. if its a regular customer that spends alot of money with you just charge them time worked or maybe an extra hour. if its a customer that doesnt give you much work do a 4 hour minimum or something like that.

How dare you charge for Support!...

beethoven_ii said:
...I now work for myself and this is a bridge I will also have to cross at some point when calls become excessive.

But yet you think you should be able to ring Rockwell Support daily, or maybe even excessively for no charge?
Double standards my friend.
You are, of course, entitled to charge for support, as are they.

Donnchadh said:
Hi all

It's Sunday morning here in Ireland and I have spend about 2 hours on and off today online to a plant I do a lot if work for. Now it's not a problem as I never mind helping out someone but want do you guys charge for this. I find a lot more time now is been spent on remote access. Again I repeat I don't mind and it actually suits me as I don't have to spent time driving.
Just do you guys charge by the hour, by the call, service contract I am not actually looking for your rates

Donnchadh

2 hours?...What's taking you so long? :p

As we are a potential new customer of yours, I'm very interested to hear you are open to suggestions! Our preference would of course be free support from yourself! (y)

Failing that...

As you are likely to be providing someone to us for a few days a week for the foreseeable future, I would see us as one of your customers that you "do a lot of work for". I'm not sure if R. mentioned anything about it yet, but we would usually look to place you on an annual retainer going forward, for which you commit to providing a minimum level of support, whether for call-out or dial-in. i.e. you are paid a set fee in advance. We know the cost upfront and you know you are paid upfront.

This of course is academic, pending you passing all my very high standards! đź““

See you Wednesday!

Regards,
George

Yes i do charge it, i just keep track of the time spent and on the next invoice the lines are added, (i have about 150 different customers, so i rarely visit them) , This is easiest as the client has not to make separate PO etc. and yes i keep it in a my agenda, and i always make a report of what we talked about.
25% of my work is remote (i give advice on big reeferships) and yes i did use an old telex, nowadays replaced with sat telephone.
I charge what is reasonable, so when having to sort out a lot, i charge them. i count normal 1 euro/min. (a lawyer on TV here does the same.)

Hi all

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I have been busy "thanks George"

Thanks to all for your comments and to George as this is from the end user to my service so it's great to hear that point if view also

Thanks again

Donnchadh