Problem Changing IP addresses of Compactlogix L32E and Panelview 1000

Hamburgers

Hello,

I recently changed the IP address of a Compactlogix L32E and an asssociated Panelview 1000. I can ping both of them so I know that the IP addresses have been changed. My problem is that the Panelview is not able to communicate with the Compactlogix. I am an amateur when it comes to Rockwell Automation so I don't know what to try next. I have read that I may need to use Factory Talk Studio to create a new device shortcut to the controller. Does anybody know if it a required step to use Factory Talk Studio to create a new shortcut? I changed the IP address of the controller using RSLinx and RSlogix5000. I changed the IP address of the Panelview using the Terminal Settings on the panel. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

The HMI doesn't know the IP of the controller. If, on the HMI you can get out to the system settings you can change the target IP but it may only be temporary. I'm not near one right now so I can't lead you through it but it's in the RSLinx Enterprise settings (I believe.) I hope someone with more recent experience can help. Using Factorytalk will be the more permanent solution though.

If you got to the terminal control panel follow this:

Select Terminal Settings > Networks and Communications > RSLinx Enterprise Communications. Select the Ethernet driver and modify the IP. I don't know if it will last through a power cycle though. Then restart the application.

Last edited:
Bernie,

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think I did what you recommended. I went through all the settings I could on the Panelview and I even changed the IP address of the controller on the Panelview. I also power cycled the PV a few times and verified that the changed IP addresses were still in it. Thanks for your reply.

Is your system PanelView Application(FactoryTalk) able to communicate with PLC?First Make factorytalk Application to communicate to your PC then select the option in communication copy to run time Application then download it to the PanelView.It will work.

I have read that I may need to use Factory Talk Studio to create a new device shortcut to the controller. Does anybody know if it a required step to use Factory Talk Studio to create a new shortcut?
Pretty sure the answer is yes. I understand the shortcut to be targeted at IP address so the Runtime Target needs to be updated.

Now, there may be a way to edit the shortcut right on the panelview, and I know from experience you must lay hands on the thing to change the hardware IP address (as you have done). But I think you will end up needing to build a new runtime file with the newly updated Runtime shortcut, and be sure to click on it and hit apply a few extra times for good luck.

:)

Last edited:
I tried using FactoryTalk to make a new shortcut to the controller and I chnaged the PanelView terminal settings to load the new shortcut on startup. However, the new shortcut is not loading and the Panelview still can't find the CompactLogix. I think the problem now is that the customer has the DEMO MODE only of FactoryTalk and maybe that is why the controller shortcut is not being loaded into the PanelView. I will wait until my colleague comes with a licensed version and try it. Thank you for all of the ideas so far.