Control Logix

ControlLogix is a PLC hardware format. RS Logix is PLC programming software, and there are different versions used to program different PLC formats.

You might want to give us a better idea of the application, often this can make a difference in deciding. Also it might be worth checking to see if you already have a company specification (this is becoming more common) that will give you the answer to what you should be looking at.

I currently work for an OEM, and at the moment we do 95% of our controls on the Control Logix platform, it has become our company standard as we see this as the way forward. We also use Seimens S7, but very rarely (we only have one controls engineer trained in S7).

Mart B

Anytime - anyone who has put a system together, using both PLCs and motion control, knows the most complicated integration task is developing the software to synchronize the two independent pieces of software. Logix completes this task for the user and makes it easy to incorporate a complete solution from the actuator on up.

On a system level or process level performance aspect of machine control and drive systems this gives the end user of the architecture several advantages.

1). A common programming environment for both the motion and the control, or PLC. By integrating the control, PLC, and integrated motion programming under a common tool called RS Logix 5000. The user is now required to only master one programming language for both PLC control and motion.

2). Architecture is also scaleable. It's not dependent on just a specific control platform.

The Logix platform allows a user to purchase just enough processing power to complete an application or a rack based type system or a dedicated motion system or a soft PLC type system.

3). The integrated Logix architecture eliminates the need for the software to synchronize the motion and control systems.

The power of the logix system is, that it combines the PLC programming, the motion programming and seamless integration of programming and all the motion devices into one solution, with one programming package and common I/O.