Factorytalk Historian SE - Trouble adding historian points to the server

yrret0715

Hi all,

I have had zero experience with PLCs but have started to work on an unfinished project. The control stuff such as RSLogix 5000 and Factorytalk View is decently set up. The only thing I have to do is to set up the historian software to log the data.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/96474/
I am following this document and having trouble with the steps on page 16.
When I tried to finish step 6 by clicking "OK", a warning message popped up:
========================================
The tag attributes configuration file does not exist. New add points will use default configuration.
========================================

Then I proceeded to step 12 but could not find any of the tags I added before. I redid the procedure several times always getting the same result. Also tried the Tag Discovery feature.

I checked the Historian Server Properties / Point Sources. The number of Points In Use never changed (95, we have a limit of 500). Also, I can see the right values of the tags on FactoryTalk Live Data Test Client from the exact same server.

After more reading and watching tutorial videos, I noticed that in step 6 of the examples, there is always "default" in the Config File column, while mine is always blank.

My colleagues and I suspect that it occurs because we installed Excel and DataLink after the Factorytalk softwares. Could not find the right tags from DataLink either.

Any suggestion to solve this is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Welcome to the Forum!
FTHistorian DataLink is a system client application which, obviously, is "installable" after the successful installation of FTHistorian SE; you should be fine with your approach.
Back to the main issue though...
What type of controller are you trying to log data off of; Logix Class, SLC, PLC?
What type and how many Dats Servers you have configured within the FTAC Application?
Which one are you trying to use ?
Could you post a screenshot of the FTAC/ Add Individual Historian Points/RSLinx Enterprise or RSLinx Classic or chosen OPC Server Tag Browser?
There probably are issues with the Data Servers (RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise, etc.) Topics configuration/connectivity.

Welcome to the Forum!
FTHistorian DataLink is a system client application which, obviously, is "installable" after the successful installation of FTHistorian SE; you should be fine with your approach.
Back to the main issue though...
What type of controller are you trying to log data off of; Logix Class, SLC, PLC?
What type and how many Dats Servers you have configured within the FTAC Application?
Which one are you trying to use ?
Could you post a screenshot of the FTAC/ Add Individual Historian Points/RSLinx Enterprise or RSLinx Classic or chosen OPC Server Tag Browser?
There probably are issues with the Data Servers (RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise, etc.) Topics configuration/connectivity.

1. We are using a 1756-L72 ControllLogix5572 Controller.
2&3. I guess there is only one server...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0trvq7g3048ypof/lwqpg13-J2

Thanks a lot for the response!

Looking into Screenshot #1...your "Add Historian Points" querry is directed to a FTAC "Zone" (the blacked out entity) and not a Data Server; the only configured Data Server is the RSLinx Enterprise one...
Screenshot #2 shows that you are accessing a subnet containing three devices; two CLX Ethernet bridges (1756-EN2Ts)and one Point I/O EtherNet/IP communications adapter.
Obviously, the Data Source for your Historian SE is a CPU; "where" is it located, "behind" 192.160.1.2 or 192.168.1.3?
Could you please refer to Screenshot #1 and double-click the "Communications Setup" subfolder of the RSLinx Enterprise Data Server container, which is the one you should be using.
The RSLinx Enterprise/Communications Setup subfolder should contain two "Topics", one for the CLX CPU located "behind" the 192.168.1.2 1756-EN2T and one for the controller located "behind" the 192.168.1.3 bridge; if there are no configured Topics, create them, each having an unique name and pointing to one of the CLX controllers.
When attempting to "Add New Historian Points" you will have to "invoke" the RSLinx Enterprise Data Server(Right-Click-> Add New Historian Data Points) and then, choosing the Topic representing the controller containing the data to be archived by the FT Historian SE system, you will be "picking" data points (tags) from within the very familiar (if you are a user of the FactoryTalk View Studio software)RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser.

Looking into Screenshot #1...your "Add Historian Points" querry is directed to a FTAC "Zone" (the blacked out entity) and not a Data Server; the only configured Data Server is the RSLinx Enterprise one...
Screenshot #2 shows that you are accessing a subnet containing three devices; two CLX Ethernet bridges (1756-EN2Ts)and one Point I/O EtherNet/IP communications adapter.
Obviously, the Data Source for your Historian SE is a CPU; "where" is it located, "behind" 192.160.1.2 or 192.168.1.3?
Could you please refer to Screenshot #1 and double-click the "Communications Setup" subfolder of the RSLinx Enterprise Data Server container, which is the one you should be using.
The RSLinx Enterprise/Communications Setup subfolder should contain two "Topics", one for the CLX CPU located "behind" the 192.168.1.2 1756-EN2T and one for the controller located "behind" the 192.168.1.3 bridge; if there are no configured Topics, create them, each having an unique name and pointing to one of the CLX controllers.
When attempting to "Add New Historian Points" you will have to "invoke" the RSLinx Enterprise Data Server(Right-Click-> Add New Historian Data Points) and then, choosing the Topic representing the controller containing the data to be archived by the FT Historian SE system, you will be "picking" data points (tags) from within the very familiar (if you are a user of the FactoryTalk View Studio software)RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser.

dmargineau,

I tried following your instruction but could not find the option you mentioned right-clicking the RSLinx Enterprise. I uploaded a few more screenshots. The tags I need are all behind 192.168.1.2.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0trvq7g3048ypof/lwqpg13-J2
Thanks a lot!

Within Screenshot #8, RSLinx Enterprise has one configured topic (CLX)pointing to an UN-recognized Bus "behind " an RSLinx Server; are you using this topic for anything else?
You are "looking for data in wrong places"...(y)
I would Add a new Topic; name it something to remind you of the blacked-out Slot 0 1756-L72 behind the 192.168.1.2 bridge, then highlight the respective 1756-L72 CPU after which choose the Apply button!
Upon successfully configuring of a
Topic pointing to a CPU controller, you should be able to "Add Historian Points" when right-clicking the FTAC RSLinx Enterprise Server then choosing the freshly configured Topic for Online Tag Browsing; RSLinx Enterprise Service restart might be required.

CLX is actually pointing to 0, 1756-L72, [blacout]. Upon double-clicking the CLX shortcut (or topic), the "0, 1756-L72, [blacout]" is highlighted in grey as screenshot#7. I probably just clicked the unrecognized bus by accident without applying it. Sorry about the confusion.

Do you mean that I am looking at the wrong place within screenshot #7?
If so, could you show me a screenshot where exactly I should look into?

Really appreciate all your help!

Could you please try the following:
1. Delete the existing "CLX" Topic (FTAC, RSLinx Enterprise/Communication Setup/Device Shortcuts->"Remove").
2. Restart the RSLinx Enterprise Service (My Computer/Manage/Services)
3. Within the FTAC interface/ Application, RSLinx Enterprise Data Server folder, Double-Click "Communication Setup" and then, within the Device Shortcuts pane, choose the "Add" radio button; I'd give it a different name than the previously chosen, "generic" "CLX" (in the future, you might want to collect data from other "CLX" controllers); once you have added the device "Shortcut", within the right pane, "drill" down to the L72 controller and "click" on it (highlight it); Click the "Apply" radio button- you will be prompted that the respective path has been applied to the respective device "Shortcut"; you might want to also choose the bottom "Verify" radio button (any eventual inconsistencies might be revealed); Click the "OK" radio button.
4. Restart the RSLinx Enterprise Service (See Step 2).
5. Open up FTAC, Right-Click the RSLinx Enterprise Data Server and choose "Add Individual Historian Points"; the Add Historian Points inteface will open up (with the Default 1 second scan rate- choose your intended rate); pick the "Browse" button; the RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser will open up; within the left pane of the browser "Expand" the RSLinx Enterprise folder; you will find the previously configured device "Shortcut"; "Expand" it; Right-Click the "Online" folder and then choose "Refresh"; upon "refreshing" Double-Click the Online folder; the entire Tag Database of the L72 controller will then be displayed; "Pick" tags from the right pane of the Tag Browser only!; the chosen tags will be listed at the bottom of the Tag Browser (Selected Tags pane) however, they are not going to be actually "activated" until you "OK" it within the RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser and then within the Historian SE Add Historian Points interface.
Depending of the chosen tags Data Type, you should be able to "find them" within the PISMT utility "Search" tool by applying the Data Type filters.

Could you please try the following:
1. Delete the existing "CLX" Topic (FTAC, RSLinx Enterprise/Communication Setup/Device Shortcuts->"Remove").
2. Restart the RSLinx Enterprise Service (My Computer/Manage/Services)
3. Within the FTAC interface/ Application, RSLinx Enterprise Data Server folder, Double-Click "Communication Setup" and then, within the Device Shortcuts pane, choose the "Add" radio button; I'd give it a different name than the previously chosen, "generic" "CLX" (in the future, you might want to collect data from other "CLX" controllers); once you have added the device "Shortcut", within the right pane, "drill" down to the L72 controller and "click" on it (highlight it); Click the "Apply" radio button- you will be prompted that the respective path has been applied to the respective device "Shortcut"; you might want to also choose the bottom "Verify" radio button (any eventual inconsistencies might be revealed); Click the "OK" radio button.
4. Restart the RSLinx Enterprise Service (See Step 2).
5. Open up FTAC, Right-Click the RSLinx Enterprise Data Server and choose "Add Individual Historian Points"; the Add Historian Points inteface will open up (with the Default 1 second scan rate- choose your intended rate); pick the "Browse" button; the RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser will open up; within the left pane of the browser "Expand" the RSLinx Enterprise folder; you will find the previously configured device "Shortcut"; "Expand" it; Right-Click the "Online" folder and then choose "Refresh"; upon "refreshing" Double-Click the Online folder; the entire Tag Database of the L72 controller will then be displayed; "Pick" tags from the right pane of the Tag Browser only!; the chosen tags will be listed at the bottom of the Tag Browser (Selected Tags pane) however, they are not going to be actually "activated" until you "OK" it within the RSLinx Enterprise Tag Browser and then within the Historian SE Add Historian Points interface.
Depending of the chosen tags Data Type, you should be able to "find them" within the PISMT utility "Search" tool by applying the Data Type filters.

I tried and could not follow step 2 precisely so I just reboot the whole server twice. I think it serves the same purpose?

Still no luck at the beginning of step 5. Right-clicking RSlinx Enterprise doesn't give me the "Add Individual Points" option, which I believe is supposed to be between "Delete" and "Server Status"?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj6erumursowjd0/a7.png

I successfully created a new shortcut with name "A", was able to find the desired tags in the sub-folder "Online" in new folder "A" through the Add Individual Points option under the FTAC zone:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbffiv6zibvchkr/a10.png

Wondering if I should try re-installing some of the software...

Not yet...

"I successfully created a new shortcut with name "A", was able to find the desired tags in the sub-folder "Online" in new folder "A" through the Add Individual Points option under the FTAC zone:."

Well...So it looks like you found the Online tags you are trying to add to the Historian SE data collection... Did you "pick" them and add them to the list?...Did you "OK" twice? (once within the Tag Browser and then within the Add Historian Points interface)...Did everything close up with no prompts?
If so, then, as we "speak", your tags are already being scanned and archived by the Historian SE system....(y)

We are half way there though...:D
First, make sure the tags are being "archived".
Open up the PI System Management Tool utility; make sure the Server Machine name is "checked" under the Servers pane; under the System Management Plug-Ins, expand the Points folder and then open-up the Points Builder Plug-In; choose the Search tool (Magnifying Glass) and search for any points being actively recorded by the system; the points you have just added will show up named as FTAC Area Name/RSLinx Enterprise/A (Shortcut)/RSL5K Tag Name; if the search also returns other data points which's names' strings do not include the FTAC Area name/RSLinx Enterprise etc., disregard them; they are system points, automatically added at the install time and used exclusively by the syetem.
If the Excel DataLink client utility cannot access the points then there is an issue on the client side and not within the Historian SE system.
Just a quick question, where is the DataLink running? On the same machine?
I'd recommend the DataLink to be installed on a client machine, since it is a Client Application.

Looking at your last post's screenshot, do you know what kind of Data Type tags you have added?
If they were INT or DINT tags, under the Point Type Filter enter Any Integer; if BOOL enter Digital; if they were REAL tags enter Any Float.
Also, within the Point Source filter space, enter FTLD (FactoryTalk Live Data.
Remember this features since it will unclutter the Search results, returning only essential data.