AB Micro1500 to Fanuc R-30iB Ethernet/IP Issue

DavidMichael

Hey guys, Happy New Year!

Got stuck with an Ethernet/IP communication problem between an AB Micrologix 1500 and a Fanuc M10 R-30iB and would really appreciate any insight.

The setup:
Micrologix 1500 LRP Series C connected through serial port 1 to 1761-NET-ENI.
The NET-ENI is connected to a managed Hirschmann switch RS20 through a RJ45 cable. The PC and Fanuc are also connected to the managed switch.
I can ping everyone on the network (From Robot to PC/Micro and from PC to Robot/Micro) and download programs to the Micrologix fine.

AB MSG Setup:
In order to setup the digital IO exchange between the Micrologix and the Fanuc, I’ve setup two MSG blocks (as in attached pic).
The communication command used is CIP. I’ve defined 8 bytes to be read and written (4 Words in the Fanuc). A Read Assembly and Write Assembly are setup as the service with an Instance of 101 decimal and 151 decimal.

When I run it, I keep getting a 0x21 messaging error. (bad parameter in MSG file command could not be built by local processor). The Ethernet IP setup on the robot is as ADP and it says it is ONLINE. It however never goes to RUNNING.

PC IP:192.168.0.10
Micrologix (NET-ENI) IP: 192.168.0.11
Fanuc Host Comm setup: Port 2 (lower), 192.168.0.12

Really appreciate any help here.
Cheers,🍻
Dave

MSG Setup 1.jpg MSG Setup 2.jpg

Managed to figure this out.

Seems that you cannot do what I wanted to do between a micrologix 1500 and a fanuc R-30ib.
I've decided to switch out the PLC for a Micrologix 1400, which has a built in ethernet port, and setup explicit messaging between the two.
Main thing to note was that I had to create a RIX file and also make sure my Input/Output integer files were 8 bytes long (matched the fanuc config).
I used Assembly instance 65hex for reading from the robot and 97hex for writing to it.

Hope this helps

David, can you please, explain what's the RIX file.I have similar application usgin microloigx 1400 and can't figure out what i have to put in that file. I appreciate any help, thanks

Robot IO Messaging Setup

hey,
I've attached a couple screenshots of my setup.
The ladder has a heartbeat that reads/writes the inputs and outputs between the PLC and the Fanuc.

The RIX file is an Extended Routing Information file, which specifies the IP address used for the comm.

The rest of the setup is in the MSG blocks that I've attached.

Hope this helps.

David

RobotDigitalIO-1.jpg RobotDigitalIO-2.jpg