Siemens PPI cable pinout

Doug_Adam

I need an extra PPI cable at work for programming and S7-200.
The type is 9 pin to 9 pin.

Does anyone here know the pin out for this cable?
And, more importantly, does anyone know if this type of cable has any electronics or converters inside?

The one I have now, that works, looks like a home made cable without any electronics or converters. The problem is one of the plugs is moulded, so I can't open it up to look at the pinout at that end. The Siemens manuals all seem to show an electronic converter, so I am reluctant to do anything that may damage it.

I can't find the person who made it, and have to give the cable back to the owner soon.

Any information will be welcome.

Thanks,

Doug

There is an adapter involved BUT the cable from the adapter to the PC is straight thru...ie 2 to 2, 3 to 3, 5 to 5hhhhhh

The PPI cable is a simple data-driven RS232-RS485 converter, powered by the PLC.

The pin configuration for the RS232 side is:
  • 2 - Received Data (PC listens)
  • 3 - Transmitted Data (PC Sends)
  • 5 - Signal Common
At the RS485 side you have to find:
  • 1 - Shield (also PLC logic common)
  • 2 - GND (PLC logic common)
  • 3 - Signal B
  • 7 - +24V power from the PLC
  • 8 - Signal A
Baudrates are selectable between 600, 1200, 2400, 9600, 19200 and 38400.

Kind regards,

Thanks everyone,

It looks like my idea of making up a cable is not going to work, at least without some type of adaptor.

I missed out on saying that one end has a 25 pin port with an adapter to get it down to 9 pins. This is probably where the adaptor is, and it was the plug I couldn't get open.

Thanks again,

Doug

I missed out on saying that one end has a 25 pin port with an adapter to get it down to 9 pins.
That one is the easiest part: it's most probably an of-the-shelf 9-to-25 pin adapter which is cheaper to buy than to make yourself.

Kind regards,

Please give me the pin configuration diagram

Can I connect the rs485 port directly to the rs232 of the pc for its comm without damaging it?
If yes then please give me its diagram. I can not afford the siemens rs232 master cable now. I have rs485 to usb master cable..
Please help me out, I have very limited time..

Can I connect the rs485 port directly to the rs232 of the pc for its comm without damaging it?
No, you can't. Check the specs for RS232 and RS485 and you'll see these work in totally diffreent ways. It's not quite as dangerous as connecting 240V 60Hz directly to 380V 50Hz, but it gives an idea what it is about.

Regards,

Dear sir,
above all details I Accept but i am confuse about the connection from Pc to PLC Means according to your pin connection we have to connect rs 232 to 485 converter and on that converter we have connect the Rs 232 cable on 232 side of converter and Rs 485 cable on 485 converter according to above pin mention details. so please clear the confusion for me
:cry:

Dear Cande,

my rs 232 to 485 converter has only 4 terminals at output side that is TX+,TX-,RX+,RX-,

how to connect the 5 terminals you gave in the above post.

my coverter is santelequip SC04u.

my rs 232 to 485 converter has only 4 terminals at output side that is TX+,TX-,RX+,RX-
That means it's not really RS485, but RS422. And I'm almost sure it even says so in the manual. Fortunately you can change most RS422 to RS485 by tying T+ to R+ and T- to R-. There are some secondary effects, but we can live with that in most cases.

PS Internet is very useful, but you need to know how to use it and put some effort in it.

Last edited:
My question is ,if i connect only signal A and signal B to these two wires,and if i dont connect gnd,shield and +24, then will it be possible to connect to plc s7200,.

with only two wires going from converter to plc comm port.

My question is ,if i connect only signal A and signal B to these two wires,and if i dont connect gnd,shield and +24, then will it be possible to connect to plc s7200,.

with only two wires going from converter to plc comm port.
GND, Shield and +24V have nothing to do with the communications port, only with feeding the converter (GND and +24V) and protecting the communications channels from interference (Shield).

I'm sorry to have to bring you the bad news, but a good PLC programmer does need to know about electromechanics. So he shouldn't have to ask this kind of questions. This is basic electronics knowledge. It's a common mistake to think that someone who knows how to program a PC is also a good PLC programmer. That's definitely a big NO, you also need other knowledge. And that's a lot of other knowledge.

Dear,
I made the cable and successfully communicated with s7200.and did the job,
thanks for this,

can we make MPI cable in the similar way.

can we make MPI cable in the similar way.
That answer is a lot simpler: NO.
An MPI converter is not only about converting the electrical signal levels, but also about changing the communications protocol and speed. Therefor the convertor needs a processor inside with a dedicated program.