micro800 and Connected Components Workbench

dcam

Lifetime Supporting Member
Trying to implement the new Allen Bradely 800 series and its software, Connected Components Workbench here at the chicken plant in livingston ca. Does anyone know of training resources for CCW? Here is a pict of our trainer we built.

IMAG1196.jpg

Nice!

No, I don't know of any training problems, except for that box conveyor that YOU were working on. Did you figure out how to control the Big and Small boxes using the Micro800?

After starting the design process, We determined that mixing small and big boxes would not work for production. The case labeler is only capable of 16 small boxes a minute and large boxes would lessen small box number by more than half. I really apriciate everyones input. If anyone is learning CCW and 800 series, let me know what u think and maybe give me some pointers.

All I can tell you is that you are probably better off NOT having any experience with the other AB platforms. This one is NOTHING like any of them. It is more like ControlLogix by far, but still way different.

I have used it on about 6 projects all of which I found to be painful and the use of the product was not my choice. I think most of the issues I had were related to the version 1.0. The last 2 projects I did were much smoother and used the latest version 1.2 I think?

The most amazing thing I ran into was that OTE's are NOT set to 0 at prescan. So any latched "relay" type logic you write stays sealed in at power up. This was a very scary realization. There is an official "work around" but still........

It is a decent budget priced controller with free software. The features etc. are in line with the costs in my opinion. That said I make efforts to avoid it.

Have fun, and good luck.

RSL

I used a Micro800 on one project here. I will never use one again(in a work environment), unless things really change in the software. I was using it to control a simple conveyor project. The software was buggy, and very slow. I could not watch any inputs change in debug mode. I could have thrown in a Micro1100 that I had laying around and had it done in a quarter of the time. I say I will never use on in a work environment again, but I do have one laying around that I got free from AB, that I would use at home if a project presents itself. I like all of the available features, and the pricing, but when you have to hurry and get a project complete, the software is not up to the task.