Turck RFID Issues / Help?

AbjectControl

Greetings,

Received a lot of help from these boards before, and hoping you guys can help me out again.

Currently working with Turck RFID Heads (TN-Q80-H1147) and Turck RFID tags (TW-L49-46-F-B128), and having a lot of issues with the individual read rates of the tags (No-Reads anywhere from 0-25% of the time, project requirement is 0.3% No Read Rate). The percentage of each head varies day to day as well (Ex: Day 1: 23.7% No Read, Day 2: 1.43% No Read). I've placed the Heads anywhere from 5mm-40mm away from the tag, and the results remain the same (relatively speaking, small changes of 1-5% are semi-noticeable in trend analysis). There are no metal or liquid obstructions between the head and the tag; The distance between all heads is greater than one meter; The tag is moving across the head at a speed of 120 feet per minute. The enviroment that the head/tag are in is extremely hot, and very dirty; Temperatures range from 100-135 degrees Farenheit.

I have spoken with Turck, and their technical support states that I'm well witin the operational limits and specifications for the equipment.

My question is thus: Has anyone had similar issues with any RFID system? Does anyone have any suggestions to try to relieve these issues I'm experiencing? Has anyone seem strange Electro-magnetic interferences cause problems with RFID read rates?

Turck TN-Q80-H1147 is the reader, and TW-L49-46-F-B128 is the tag.

Greetings,

Has anyone seen strange Electro-magnetic interferences cause problems with RFID read rates?

Turck TN-Q80-H1147 is the reader, and TW-L49-46-F-B128 is the tag.
Yes on this. What sort of strange electro-magnetic interferences does your system have? Are you doing RF heat-treating or similar?
Can the RFID tags/heads be shielded from them?

BTalbot,

Recommended distance is indeed 50mm; however, in testing with distance at 50mm same percentage and behavior of no-reads was witnessed. Per Technical Support, 40mm is suitable. To make things worse, read rates go up with the distance is limited to less than 10mm between the Head and tags, but still erratic.

RussB,

Just tossing the possibility out there. Facility is in South America, power fluctuations are common. Reaching for any possibility for explanation of the issues I'm seeing. Figured EM interference might be a good path to check out if others have seen issues before. No other random RF is used outside of Wi-Fi control and general factory interference.

Thanks guys.

**Bump**

Still having this issue, but going to add in two new pieces of information:

1) RFID heads with conveyor units above them (distance approximately 1.5 meters), have better read rates than those with nothing above them.

2) Nominal readings of voltage along primary grounds (1-5 volts, fluctuating).

Any thoughts from the brain trust?

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing that you are using the TN-Q80-H1147 with a Turck gateway.
Do you have a programmable gateway?
Do you have a ReadError counter in your gateway POU?

I'm using the PG-EN gateway. It was recommended that I count read errors -- for diagnostics. I may, in the next revision.
I did, however, need to toggle the RFID BL-ident function's READ input.
Occasionally, the Read/Write head would NOT correctly read the NEXT tag's id.
(The new tag would show up as the SAME tagid as the last tag.)

Please explain what you mean by No-Read. I'm a bit thick at times.

Last edited:
Tn-q80-h1147 & bl67-2rfid-s

Anyone need these items? We are selling these for $140 a piece in excellent condition and can provide pictures and more info if any one is interested.