Mitsubishi Melsec FX2N-80MR

bluenoser337

I have been asked to work on a Mitsubishi Melsec FX2N-80MR PLC but have no experience with Mitsubishi at all. The hope is to get online to find some timers that used to be user-editable on an old HMI (MTA-10) and possibly to replace that old HMI with something more modern. I am wondering what is the latest software for these CPUs and what OS and cable I would need? Also, do they have their own protocol for HMI communications, or can I access data with a PanelView or C-More for example? Many thanks in advance!!

The Mitsubishi's use a SC-09 comm's adapter/cable. Usually bright red color DB-9 to DB-25 with a DB-25 to MiniDIN extension.

The software you need is GX-Works, not a free download so you'll need to contact your local Mitsubishi distributor.

The first time I used the software I was able to use my Allen Bradley experience and get online, monitor and figure out online edits.

The A-B PanelView won't communicate, but if the C-more model you get lists Mitsubishi then it will work, and for less then a PV.

MTA-10 is very old HMI, even compared with FX2N. Most likely with MTA-10, HMI screen changing, HMI access control and scaling is done in PLC application.
If the PLC is not password protected, 95% chance is that there will not be any comment. Also this generation of PLC did not have floating point.

You can use the GXDeveloper which is the ladder or Statement list IDE, it is probably cheaper than GXWorks or there is an old IDE called Medoc but only works in dos, to use that you would need either need Win Xp or a dos box, will not work on Win10 & above, the HMI is well dead & would need i think MAC IDE to program it. the timers if timing is controlled from the HMI would be in the D register area i.e. [T10 D20] so timer 10 has a time value stored in D20 this will be in 10ms increments so if it contained a value of 10 then this would be 1 second.
(unless high speed timers are used but unlikely).