Rslogix 5000 v20.04

1knarf

Hello All,

A program was downloaded to a CompactLogix PLC by a colleague.

When I attempt to open the program I get a message: Failed to open file,
Project file was created with newer version of RSLogix 5000 software.

This is not the case we both have the same version 20.04

Does this have anything to do with FactoryTalk Configuration?

Hello All,

A program was downloaded to a CompactLogix PLC by a colleague.

When I attempt to open the program I get a message: Failed to open file,
Project file was created with newer version of RSLogix 5000 software.

Does this have anything to do with FactoryTalk Configuration?

Open the ACD in notepad and look at the last version it was saved in. should be near the top of the project.

check the minor revision differences. There may be a problem with it due to being 20.04 or around there.

ID: IN1034 | Access Levels: Everyone

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/720913/loc/en_US#__highlight

There's your answer. The last saved version was v35

One thing you'll have to get used to is that there is no such thing as backwards compatibility. You must install every major revision of software for every major revision of controller you want to connect to.

Saved-V35.00.00
The fact that you both have v20.04 installed is largely irrelevant, as you can have multiple versions of the software installed (and often need to). The version that is actually used to create the file will be the version that matches the firmware of the controller.

From examining the .ACD we can see that it is a v35 file, meaning your colleague must have v35 installed; the fact that your colleague also has v20.04 installed doesn't matter in the slightest.

If you want to open it you'll need to install v35 as well.

Every major revision of Logix 5000 is a separate install, and you'll need each one that matches a firmware version you're expecting to support. Minor revisions within a major revision are generally compatible with each other (excepting a minor kerfuffle in v20/v21).

I was just informed that Studio 5000 was used to write the program.
Is Studio 5000 necessary with this version 35 controller

'Studio 5000' is the overarching name for the software package that contains the 'Logix Designer' which is used for software v21 and up. This Logix Designer is basically a repackaging of RSLogix 5000 (which was used for v20 and lower), and unless things have changed your license for RSLogix 5000 will allow you to use Studio 5000.

In short, you need to install *specifically version 35* of Studio 5000. If you have a TechConnect contract you probably can download it from Rockwell using your existing license.

tl;dr To open a v35 file or work with a v35 firmware controller, you need v35 software (same with any other version number). Prior to v21 the software you needed was called 'RSLogix 5000', but starting with v21 it is part of 'Studio 5000', but for purposes of programming Logix processors it's functionally the same thing (although they overhauled the interface somewhere around v30).

Hi,
first a disclaimer: im working 6 days in factory, still a beggning automation engineer and....im spending a half! my "free time" - probably i should spend it on sleeping, but i cant because im trying to find button to make a New Post at this forum :O i give up! :( so i choose to write my post here: uestion is why I cant connect to PLC from my RSLogix 5000? its older version v.20.05

https://ibb.co/nbPd6wy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Please start the new thread and include details. See graphic below.

What PLC are you using?
How are you connecting to the PLC? USB? Ethernet? Brain waves?
What error are you seeing? Can you provide screenshots.

Please include that information in the new thread.

OG

Start a New Thread.PNG

thanky very much for you answear, I realy liked it, specialy the "brain waves" part :D :D
But i did attached picture, and there are all the needed answears. But I have a question about that now: did my picure worked?
And also: my version of the website to have teh "start a new thread" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
why didnt you show the httm of your sub website, it could help,
and also: when I press the icon "Insert Image" then this pop up: "Please enter the URL of your image:" ¯\_(;/)_/¯
I went to FAQ here and enter post: how to attached picture to post....i clcked "clicked here" and i seen: Adobe Flash player dont work :O
Jeeeesus, this site is bugyyy, one bug after another and I only wanted to ask one thing about RSLogix
- i have one more quetion here, are both made in america?? ヽ(°〇°)ノ

Haha, its just somehow appeared spontaneously :p no revane of any kind, just out of the need of the moment :p
But seriously how to get from this: "http://www.plcs.net" to this: "www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2" :O the admin should work on that....i dont know, mayby it just me, and I would put big button at the top of the entry site, lets called it ....polish button ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I will do the new post now.

Sidebar to address something glossed over in this thread. v20 notoriously had two minor revision paths that were not compatible with each other, but Rockwell fixed that ages ago. You should be striving to use the latest minor revision of whatever major revision you use every time you do work on a project and this is true for every existing major revision of Logix/Studio 5000.

In this case, it is v20.06.00 if you were actually going to use v20. EDIT: Yes, v20.06.00 unifies the two different minor revision paths of v20, you can upgrade any v20.x project to v20.06.00 and it will work just fine.
For v35 it is v35.00.01

The minor revisions fix all kinds of things and they don't always list everything in the release notes. I know v31.00.00 has a super major bug where it doesn't compile changes to AOI parameters or UDTs which allows memory leaks that can lead to complete logic derangement and unintended motion. We actually suffered machine damage from v31 going nuts and crashing somethings. Not sure if they listed fixing that in the v31.00.01 or v31.00.02 change notes...